Completed Budget HTPC - £250 (Updated Now £350) (1 Viewer)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    The remote (X10) is a RF remote. The reciver should be small, so I see no reason not to put it inside?
    (yeah, I got it laying around somewhere. Pretty good, but not very stable?)

Great project!

cheetah05

Portal Pro
    April 9, 2006
    London
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Realistically - whats the length from the wall to the front of the case, taking into account power cables...etc...?

I just want to see whether it will fit on my AV rack.

EDIT:

It might also be nice to mod the second 5 1/2" drive to fit the MCE IR Reciever.

Ciruz

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Bath City
    Home Country
    On this case the big space around the A+ silver logo is hollow inside so i fit the receiver inside nicely but when i tried to use the remote it just didnt work at all until i was a few cm away from the receiver.

Im assuming by the look and feel of the case front that its metal and just wont allow the signal to pass through.

At the very front of the case (on the left hand side) is a large plastic door which can be pushed in. Ive tried dangling that wire from the receiver out of it but still no luck.

It only seems to work when i have the entire receiver outside the case :(

I may try again now thou just incase. I really want the RF inside. It just looks alot better imho :)

Allowing for cables, 20 inches from front to back. Abit on the big side

As for modding the bay, the front is just a flap which the drive door itself pushes open. I really wanted to mod the 5 bay but never mind. Im thinking maybe a small screen in the 3.5 bay with temps etc..

Mark

Ciruz

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Bath City
    Home Country
    This is just a quick update & maybe a small cry for a little help with the project.

Ive read around the forums and found out some information about making MP a shell replacement. It seems pretty simple, make the MP .exe the default shell through registry.

I gave this a go and found the annoying error message "MP directx cannot render blah blah" which was quickly solved by reinstalling dx9c.

So everything loads perfectly. Its a slick, smooth, quick boot straight into MP. One problem thou...

I have a program running called HotKeyP which maps a few windows commands to my joypads. If you replace the shell in the registry with MP then all programs that startup with the shell no longer do :(

A little more research at trying to start HotKeyP as a service (which still do load on boot without the shell) led me to a dead end. It can be done but with other apps just not with HotKeyP.

Has anyone else had experience at doing this ? How did you get along?

Thanks People!

Mark

Ciruz

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Bath City
    Home Country
    Update:

Purchased Geforce 6200 128Mb AGP 8x w/ HD/TV Out - DVI Out and 54g Wireless Network Card. I plan on using this card in another MP system in the future.

Lets see how it improves my MP experience !

Mark

druffski

Portal Member
    May 2, 2007
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    The 54g wireless card - is this a DLink product? I run a PCI DLink Wireless network card in my MediaPortal PC. The wireless signal goes through three walls and I still get excellent signal. I have got a matching DLink wireless router at the other end though.

Ciruz

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Bath City
    Home Country
    Its a cheap ass 54g card but works better then some brand name cards i have :) I also have a very nice (not...) zoom x6 adsl wireless modem but ti does the job...just.

Just upgraded to 2.3.0 and yep, alot of bugs appear to be fixed in particular MP displaying properly when returning from running an emulator :D works perfect every time now.

Graphics card has improved game play on a few emulators mainly project 64 and psX. S-video tv out works great thou i do need a decent tv to wack refresh rate up to make it look pretty ;)

Still stuck with mapping medion remote keys to work with other applications. Im mainly looking to close emulators with the remote when ive finished playing which will then return me to MP. At the moment only MP is controlled with the remote and if im looking to use it as a shell replacement then i need to have nothing in the startup folder (i currently have HotKeyP starting to map keys to my control pad).

I want to completely remove the task bar but the only solution is the shell replacement. As you can probs tell im going for a super smooth bootup from MP bootscreen to MP itself and no other objects showing up on the screen. Hiding the task bar is crap as it shows up for 5 secs then disappears again.

Btw anyone have a good silent method for displaying TV guide via analogue ? Ive just briefly looked at XMLTV but have little understand of it yet.

Mark

Ciruz

Portal Member
    July 27, 2007
    Bath City
    Home Country
    Due to BIOS supporting only max 64Meg AGP 4x ive got rid of the geforce 6200 (refunded) and got a geforce 2 mx 64mb agp tv out. Makes sense.

Mark

SouSaRMS

December 11, 2007
    Home Country
    Portugal Portugal
    Hi, i'm from Portugal i want to buy a case like this too...

but can you tell me where is your HDD ??? is on the front right side ??? ( if we see the case by front ) in that little space ???

if yes, can you tell me where we can put the other two HDD's that the brand tell that this case can handle ??? it comes with some adapters to put instead of fans ???

hope you can answer me:)

other thing, the PSU you have has the fan in front right?? to where it goes the wind caused by PSU ?? lol:D

thanks for all

And great HTPC;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom