Ongoing Build a HTPC (1 Viewer)

Thunderwolf

Portal Member
March 3, 2013
Home Country
France France
Hello,

I am French, and i am here today because i want to build a HTPC. The config i want to build :
Processor : AMD A8 5600K
Motherboard : Asus F2A85-M LE
Memory : 2x4Go
Ventirad : Cooler Master GEMINII M4
Power : Corsair CX 430
Case : SilverStone SST-ML03B. If you have any other idea ? Size : H:21cm, W:35cm, Depth:38cm
Keyboard : Twintech PalmStyle TT-WKB190F
Harddisk & Drive : A SSD (crucial 64Go for the system), a green 2To for storage, a bluray drive
Network : A PCI Express wifi card.
System : Windows 7 x64

The HTPC is for :
- Bluray 2D/3D
- MKV 2D/3D
- Other movie (avi, mpeg ...)
- Audio : DTS, DTS TRUE HD, DTS TRUE MASTER HD, DOLBY .....
- No game
- Web surf

On your opinion is OK ?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards

Thunder

PS : Sorry for my English ;)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Looks good.

You need to double check that you can get true hd audio from the onboard sound card, also will need to connect the htpc to the audio via hdmi (as optical can't carry hd audio), since you are connecting the audio to the hdmi, you will need a receiver that also supports 3D, so it can pass through the 3D HDMI video signal to the tv.

You can get motherboards with built in wifi, might be worth checking if there is an alternative motherboard you could use so you don't have to buy a wifi card.

Not sure if you really need a CPU cooler, unless you find the stock cooler is too loud, I'm guessing the stock cooler should be ok given that you have a regular PSU rather than an ultra quiet one.

Thunderwolf

Portal Member
    March 3, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    Thx for your answer,

I think it's ok for the true HD sound, i connect the HDMi to my onkyo tx-sr 309. The same for 3D.

I have already a PCI express wifi card ;)

I need a quiet solution ? you think the cooler and the PSU is not ?

Thunder

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I would try to go for a beQuiet PSU, exchange the stock cooler (my stock A8 cooler is too loud). If possible I would try to connect your htpc using cable instead of WiFi. You can use it as a TV server with a WiFi client later (like I do with a laptop & iPad). If the TV server is on WiFi, this will lead to problems.

Thunderwolf

Portal Member
    March 3, 2013
    Home Country
    France France
    For the cooler i want buy this : Cooler Master GEMINII M4, what do you think about. The stock cooler is effectively so loud ;)

Have you a reference for a good BeQUIET PSU for my configuration (~400 W)

I can't use cable, it's for this i choose wifi ;)

Thx a lot.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I can tell you that if you went with Intel I3-3235 the stock intel cooler with speed fan would be very quiet. Intel CPU also produces less heat so will heat up your case less, which is important as that case uses 80mm case fans (potentially noisey). The AMD chip will produce more heat into the case regardless of what cooler you use. I'm not sure how noisy the new AMD stock coolers are, but historically they were louder than the intel equivalents. You might also consider a PICO PSU so you don't put PSU heat into the case, and you eliminate another fan from the HTPC (if quiet is important).

If I wanted to build a very quiet system around that case I would consider
    PICO PSU
    Intel i3-3225 with stock cooler + speed fan
    $2 set of inline fan resisters for the 80mm case fans

The cooler is right below a case vent so you can build a duct so the cpu cooler sucks air directly from the lid grill.

I've never personally used a PICO PSU but I think they are really good for small cases, or where you want to remove as much heat from a case as possible.

Last edited:

WhoCares75

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi Thunder,

ever thought about a fanless psu? e.g. Silentmaxx has some fanless psu's in their programm. Could be worth a look.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you want fanless PSU I recommend Seasonic X-560, basically the PSU fan comes on only if the PSU overheats or if the load >50% (280W, which will never happen in most HTPCs), so basically its a fanless PSU at a regular price with the added safety of a fan if required :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom