Building my first HTPC (2 Viewers)

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I saw that thread earlier, but noted that it said Blu-ray rip. What about a native BR disk (assuming that's what the BR drive is for).

I am still unsure of MP support for HD-DVD or BR using actual disks and actual drives (i.e. not circumventing protection which I am sure noone does...).

pemberto

Portal Member
August 5, 2007
Land of Round abouts (Milton Keynes)
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Guys,
Many thanks for all your feedback. Now that I have had my original system spec ripped apart I am off to rethink my design. I will be back once I have done a bit more research. Still think quad core is a great option especially as its now so cheap.

Pemberto

eetaylog

Portal Pro
March 6, 2007
South London
Home Country
England England
The Antec Fusion case is very nice and comes with a 430W power supply. its also very quiet, and the latest version comes with a built in IR receiver for media centre remote controls.

OS - USE XP! still far too many issues with vista, and its far too power hungry on the graphics front for my liking.
Memory - 1Gb Ram will be enough (i use Corsair DDR2)
Mobo - id get one with a PCIe slot, as pci express TV cards are far better than standard PCI.
TV card - Hauppauge novaT 500 does me just fine
Processor - Definately go dual core, but if you want to use Intel, id use a core 2duo as theyre a lot cooler than their predecessors. I run my system on an AMD X2 3400+, and its pretty quick.

hope this has confused you some more! ;-)

Tomi

Portal Member
April 18, 2006
Turku
Home Country
Finland Finland
How about low budget MP setup?

Sounds very familiar situation - I started to built my 1st Mediaportal setup few years ago. Fortunately I spent only about 500 euros for different components. I had Silverstone LC-13B case, Asus A7V880 mobo, 2 GHz AMD Sempron, 1 GB mem, Aerocool HT-102 cooler, Antec Phantom 350 W power supply, 300 GB SATA hdd, expensive "dual layer" noise insulation material, fans slowed down with Zalman fanmate 2s, Hauppauge Nova-t PCI, Microsoft MCE remote, etc.

Finally I just got enough when the case was running too hot and wasn't silent enough - I even broke the passive cooled power supply with inadequate case cooling and got to the point where I just didn't want to spend more money - but wanted to have a dead silent Mediaportal up&running.

One solution would have been a laptop or at least components from the mobile systems but I decided to go as cheap as possible and see the result.

I resuced the nova-t, remote & processor cooler from the previous setup I bought 2nd hand mATX motherboard, 1.4 GHz processor and 512 MB memory. I built a simple wooden hifi-case with "wind tunnels", one 120 mm fan and cheap noise insulation material. All the noisy parts (HDD, Processor cooler & power supply are deep inside the case. Now the processor temperature is around 45 deg celcius and the setup is almost inaudible daytimes. For this one I spent only about 150 euros and some quality time while building the case.

And my next case will be made out of concrete...

milhouse

Portal Pro
November 9, 2006
Raleigh, NC U.S.
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Cheetah -
Sorry, didn't see your question a month ago regarding the Mac Mini video, and whether or not it's enough for MP.

I use all SD content right now (SD TV card, regular DVD), as I have just gotten a 1080p display, and haven't starting getting the HD components. But I've got the Mac Mini running at 1920 x 1080 hooked up to the display for live TV and DVD (streaming from ripped ISOs) and it's flawless.

I have downloaded and played some 1080p clips just to see how they look on the display. I think I am pushing the limits of the Mac, but even that is fine. Now if I was doing ffdshow post-processing, it might be another story...

Milhouse

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom