[Finished] Built in ISO player (1 Viewer)

mats_o

Portal Member
September 18, 2011
One improvement I would like to see is an internal ISO-parser so that we don't need an external ISO mounter.
XBMC does this but I dont know how.

If this is to hard we at least should support the built in automounter in Win8 (I do not use W8 myself)

Edit: This change should give a better user experiance since we remove one external component.
One thing less to install, uppgrade and that can break

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MP2 does already have inbuilt support for accessing ISO images and also ZIP archives directly. You can even have a chain of ZIP->ISO->.MKV or something like this :)

mats_o

Portal Member
    September 18, 2011
    ;)
    I guess we can change that one to done then :)
    I can't connect to my media store currently since it seems like it seems like MP2 requires it to be browsable.

Currently it requires another username\pw to allow connections

Last edited:

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Actually I don't think so - unless MP1 also uses dokan, which I think is not an ideal solution.
    MP2 uses DiscUtils to access the iso file. But then you need a way to present the content of the ISO to the DS-filter as a file system. This is where MP2 uses dokan. There was a thread in the MP2 forums lately (started by offbyone, I think) where a discussion started how to get rid of dokan. If I recall correctly there are two problems about this:
    1. we would need a filter that accepts a stream instead of a file as Input. That's probably the easier part, but only works for situations, in which there is a single file you want to Play (e.g. an MKV inside a ZIP-File).
    2. For DVD and Bluray-ISOs there is another problem: the filter expects a whole directory structure, which is contained in the ISO. Therefore, just providing a stream as source is not enough, because a stream can't provide access to a whole directory.
    But nevertheless, any idea in that respect is very welcome, because also in MP2 it would be nice to get rid of dokan...
    Sorry for being a bit of topic...
    Michael

MJGraf

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 13, 2006
    Mi mats_o,
    no, I have no clue about XBMC, sorry.
    But I had a look into DiscUtils to see if there is something in it, we could use as a dokan replacement for MP2 (and the result then maybe also for MP1).
    First I thought, there is a solution, because there is a Utility bundled with DiscUtils, which enables you to Mount e.g. ISO-files as drives in a PowerShell window. Then, however, I realized that a PowerShell drive (i.e. a PSDrive) is not a "real" Windows drive and only visible within PowerShell.
    Without having a clue about DS source filters, I would assume that such PSDrive is not enough for the filter to connect to it - @morpheus_xx can you shed some light on this?
    As a result, we still Need some Kind of kernel mode Driver to simulate a Windows drive - which is dokan at the Moment.
    I found, hower, one more possible solution in some other Forum. The idea is to have an inbuilt SMB/CIFS Server to which the OS then attaches as a Network drive. But this imho is a huge Overkill...
    Michael

mats_o

Portal Member
    September 18, 2011
    it's a very very long time since i played with XBMC but if i remember it right they do use Mplayer as their media engine so it might be in there we should look for a way to maount iso:s directly without a need for a virtual drive or so

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom