Can I use IMDB+ to scrape movies that are extended or directors cuts? (1 Viewer)

nzdreamer55

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 31, 2010
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I have a few films that are labeled as extended versions. Is there a way that I should label these so to give IMDB+ the best chance of correctly naming them as extended versions?

-S

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    IMDb usually only has one single reference for a movie. There is just a page for "Avatar" no seperate ones for "Avatar 3D", "Avatar Extended", "Avatar Director's Cut". There are extreme rare exceptions, such as:

Payback (1999) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120784/
    Payback: Straight Up (2006) (Director's Cut) - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0958860/

The FAQ on the latter explains why: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0958860/faq?ref_=tt_faq_2#.2.1.2

With IMDb+ however there is full label/tag support, so you can do whatever you want. This is done by support of labels as part of the folder/filename.

Example:
    • Avatar.mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar
    • Avatar (3D).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (3D)
    • Avatar (Extended Edition).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (Extended Edition)
    • Avatar (Director's Cut).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (Director's Cut)
    Any default supported label/tag simply has to be part of the filename within parenthesis and it will be imported into MovPic by adjusting the title (so that it is actual visual). You can also filter on this via "Full Path" and look for the same label/tag strings. It is therefore easy to make a custom category showing all your 3D movies by adding a filter "Full Path" + 'contains' + "(3D)" and you are good to go.

To extend the usage of labels/tags within IMDb+ there is also a custom one you can use. To make it work you just have to properly define it via ([...]), so for example:
    • Avatar ([3D Extended Director's Cut]).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar [3D Extended Director's Cut]
    A custom label/tag overrules any default ones, and only one tag is supported (PS: There is some mixing supported, but its complex regular expression stuff, so not easy to list).

"Avatar (3D) (IMAX).mkv" should be done as "Avatar ([3D IMAX]).mkv"

I personally use it on the default tags for 3D, and Director's Cut, and then I tag any 720p/1080p duplicates with "([HD])" in the filename. The real purpose really is to allow for a quick differentiation between multiple versions. If your entire collection is HD, then it makes no sense, but when you see "Gravity" and "Gravity [HD]" in the list, it is easy to quickly decide which version to watch. Obviously you can rely on the MediaInfo icons as well, or setup awesome filters to pre-seperate your collection based on those criteria, but we all like things our own way :)

wolferl99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    With IMDb+ however there is full label/tag support, so you can do whatever you want. This is done by support of labels as part of the folder/filename.

Example:
    • Avatar.mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar
    • Avatar (3D).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (3D)
    • Avatar (Extended Edition).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (Extended Edition)
    • Avatar (Director's Cut).mkv --- MovPic title » Avatar (Director's Cut)
    Any default supported label/tag simply has to be part of the filename within parenthesis and it will be imported into MovPic by adjusting the title (so that it is actual visual).

Hi RoChess,

is there a list of the default supported labels/tags? I checked the wiki and the google code page but couldn't find it.

thanks
    w

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The RegExp that looks for it as follows:

Code:
    (?<=.+)([\(\[\{](?:3D|Extended|Unrated|Director's Cut|Alternate Ending|(?<=\[)[^\]]+(?=\]))(?: Edition)?[\}\]\)])

That means the following bracket notation is supported:

(...)
    [...]
    {...}

Leading to the following combinations of text:

3D
    Extended
    Unrated
    Director's Cut
    Alternate Ending
    3D Edition
    Extended Edition
    Unrated Edition
    Director's Cut Edition
    Alternate Ending Edition

And then ontop of that there is support for custom tags, allowing you to put down anything you want.

Syntax for that is: ([...]) and it causes [...] to be added to the title.

"Example Movie ([HD Extended Unrated]) (2014).mp4" would become "Example Movie [HD Extended Unrated]".

The custom one overrules the predefined one, if they are both defined.

NOTE: I only have access to the filename in the search node, that is why when you rename a file, you have to sent the movie back to the importer for it to update inside MovPic. It is on my ToDo list to touch base with one of the developers to see if that can be modified to allow access inside details node, so I can make it more powerful.

PS: I'm so used to the custom method myself, that I did not keep track of what is normal now for standard descriptions, because I'll be more than happy to add additional ones.

wolferl99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    "Example Movie ([HD Extended Unrated]) (2014).mp4" would become "Example Movie [HD Extended Unrated]".

That is very cool and agreed, custom method makes it very flexible.

I have a strange effect though: I renamed a file according to the method and have successfully imported it. However:

PX8okj9.png

It does not show up as 'movietitle [ blabla ]', but only as '[ blabla]' which of course makes it impossible to find. Is that something the import did or do I possible have a weird setup in my moving pictures plugin? I remember it being imported as [ blabla ], as movie [ blabla ]

wolferl99

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 21, 2007
    Home Country
    fixed it

GWv81Nm.png

I had both option set to off. I think only the second one needs to be on, but it works with both on.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    That sounds like a bug though. Are you perhaps on MediaPortal v1.8? There is still an issue I need to dig deeper into that only occurs on MePo v1.8. Have not found the time to upgrade my own setup yet, so makes it hard to replicate.

At least you found a workaround for now, but will keep you posted when I locate the actual bug and fix it. Since it does not occur on the v1.6 that I use myself it might be that MovingPictures broke something, but will check into that either way.

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi,
    Thanks for this cool feature, which works a treat.
    I was just wondering if there is a way to maintain the custom label/tags in the file name when using the 'rename' utility under 'Movie Manager'. Currently you have to name the file 'Movie ([Special Edition]) (2002), which on import IMDb+ would call 'Movie [Special Edition] (2002)'. When renaming, that becomes the file name and on re-importing IMDb+ wouldn't recognise the custom label anymore.

Thanks!

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    ejvdh, the best way to handle that is to use a 3rd party tool such as MovPicNFO which allows you to generate a movie_name.nfo file that contains the title MovPic will then use on an import.

Weird though, because the "[Special Edition]" is part of the title in MovPic, but I guess it filters it out when it does the rename action, and obviously is unaware of the ([...]) syntax.

If it at least names it with the "[Special Edition]" to the filename, then it is a simple way to auto-rename all your files.

Users who are viewing this thread