Can MP do this? (1 Viewer)

Biffa001

Portal Pro
May 9, 2008
Hi all,

Just wondering if MediaPortal can do the following as I've lost a few functions I used quiet a bit when I "upgraded" my Vista Media Center with the TV Pack 2008 so I could get BBC HD and ITV HD:

(I have a DVB-S card)

1) Can you set up ITV HD as a seperate channel and then schedule recordings for that channel (without pressing a red button first as on VMC, which means it only works if you are there...)?

2) I miss Webguide4 on VMC since TV Pack 2008 broke it....is there a program or a way to access my guide (to schedule recordings), Live TV, recordings and the play functions (for playing music on my HTPC and stopping/styarting/picking different albums etc etc on on my laptop in the other room) - both over my home network and more importantly over the internet in MP?

3) Can I convert HD and SD recording made by MP into smaller files, preferably with adverts removed? (again TV Pack 2008 broke MCEBuddy which did this on VMC)

4) Will MP play Blu-Ray/HD-DVD discs on its own without PDVD installed?

5) Can MP play my currently recorded .dvr-ms and .wtv files that I haven't watched yet from VMC?

Thanks for the help guys :D

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    1.) ITV HD should be in your channel list as '10510'; just rename to ITV HD and map to your guide channel (XMLTV, FTR etc.) Note: you will only receive video when something is actually airing.

2.) MP can be set up as a client on your laptop, there are also plugins for a webserver.

3.) FTR (For the Record) plugin can run postprocessing on your files, Video Editor may also work.

4.) No, but you can use ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre instead of PDVD.

5.) Make sure in MPconfig>Video>Video Extensions both the file extensions are in the list, however I'm not sure.

DVB-S2 card is required for HD channels, you said you had DVB-S ?!

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    thanks for the replys. Can't remember exactly what it is but I get BBC HD and ITV HD in VMC ok so I guess thats going to work in MP too?

Just to clarify:

2) If I install MP as a client on my laptop I can then do everything that I would do with MP on my HTPC but on my laptop (watch Live TV, recordings on my laptop, manage the music playing on my HTPC etc)

5) Anyone know for sure if .dvr-ms and .wtv can be played in MP. Would hate to have to run both side-by-side just to watch everything I've recorded..!

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    2.) Yes, providing your network can handle the HD streaming, You will need all your media on network shares available to your laptop.

5.) .dvr-ms files are listed under the Video extensions in MPConfig, .wtv are not, just add them there and providing you have the codecs installed to play them I don't foresee any problems.

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    that sounds good thank you. As I have TV Pack installed and playing .wtv I will try it with MP and see what happens.

As for the laptop install, do I download the same 1.01 file that includes the TV server and just not install the TV server (which I guess includes the database etc)?

thanks for the help guys, looks like I will be trying this out again on a spare partition!

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Currently Vista TV pack causes some issues with TV server, like multitune feature not being available.

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    Does that mean that I would have to totally unistall VMC & TV Pack to get MP running propely?

Not entirely sure what "multitune" though is?

jsimo01

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 24, 2008
    Home Country
    You cannot uninstall VMC as it's part of the OS, I don't know whether you can uninstall TVPack though (maybe through Windows Update?).

Use the Advanced Install option on your laptop and only install the MP Client, it will connect to TVServer over your network, just specify the server name in MPConfig.

Not sure if Multitune refers to some cards capacity to tune to multiple channels on one transponder or using multiple tuners, either way have never played with either and don't have TVPack installed anymore.

paddy01

Portal Member
    April 28, 2009
    Home Country
    Only thing I'd add is that currently you don't need a DVB-S2 card, BBCHD and ITVHD are currently DVB-S.

This can and likely will change in the future to DVB-S2, especially when other channels go HD (Channel 4 etc).

Biffa001

Portal Pro
    May 9, 2008
    well its time to finally change over to MediaPortal as I've had it up to here with all the VMC freezes and crashes..!!

I just need an answer to the following unaswered questions if anyone knows?

5) Can MP play my currently recorded .wtv files that I haven't watched yet from VMC? (I have VMC & TV Pack installed on my PC so I believe I have the needed codecs, but does anyone actaully have this working ok?)

Thanks for the help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom