Can this be done???? (1 Viewer)

Pantonious

March 25, 2007
Home Country
Ok...

im a long time user of Windows MCE and now VMC...

pretty much, im moving house (ie, out of home :p)

and the new place doesn't have an antenna point on the wall in my room.

so i will be setting up my HTPC in the living room.

I want to be able to stream Live TV over Wireless 802.11g to my Laptop.

now, im new to media portal and i assume that is what the TVServer plugin thing is for???

now, i would really like to keep on using Vista on both my HTPC and my Laptop.

can i

1. Run the TV server in a Virtual Machine (i searched for it, and someone said no because of no DX9 support..but i will not be watching TV on this machine, this will be purely for streaming to my laptop)
2. Are there any Windows based programs that will let me watch it, or will i need to install Media Portal on my laptop...
3. can i dual boot between Media Portal and Vista PM/Ultimate easily???

(htpc currently has HP on it, the laptop is coming with ulti)

i would prefer not to have to dual-boot...

i am also renting with someone, and he will be wanting to use the htpc too, so dual booting might be a bit much for him to handle...

any advise you can offer would be grealy appriciated

THANKS!

EDIT...the HTPC is a AMD X2 4600, 2Gb RAM, 80gb + 2x250Gb HDDs and 7600GT...so, plenty of power to run the virtual machine and has a DVICO Dual HDTV Tuner, so i can watch one on the laptop and the other on the main pc..

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
answer to question 2 - you can use VLC to watch the live tv stream from the tvserver.

answer to question 3 - i think you are confused as to what MediaPOrtal is.... is it NOT an operating system, it is an application that runs on the windows platform. therefore i'm not sure why you think you would need to 'dual boot'.

Pantonious

March 25, 2007
Home Country
oh...well...don't i feel stupid...

i was reading into LinuxMCE earlier tonight...and just assumed that media portal was linux based...

so, then i really shouldn't have a problem with doing it...no need for a virtual PC, i just run the TV Server on the HTPC and VLC on the laptop, and assuming the Wireless can handle it, away i go????

chenks

Portal Pro
May 22, 2006
Scotland
Home Country
i wouldn't advise on using wireless.... i can quality of signal can be unstable at the best of time.

you can try it, but i would always suggest using wired network for streaming of livetv and/or movies.

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Hi,

You don't even need to run VLC on the laptop (unless I'm missing something). Just run MediaPortal with the new TV Engine plugin, and you're away.

Mark

chenks

Portal Pro
    May 22, 2006
    Scotland
    Home Country
    the VLC option was due to his question being 'do i NEED to install MP on the client'... the answer is, of course, no you don't - as you can use VLC to watch the tv streams.

Pantonious

March 25, 2007
    Home Country
    chenks, yeah, i know wireless isn't the best...its actually going to be ~5-10m but its straight across the living room into my bedroom. not sure if my housemate would appriciate a blue cable across the middle of the room, and we are renting so we are not able to cable the house.

elliottmc, thanks for clearing that up...obviously i know very little about media portal at this stage :p

Do both Media Portal and VLC run on Vista ok????

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom