Cannot get mysql sever to install properly (1 Viewer)

Bruce Wayne

November 17, 2015
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi please can anyone help.I have been using mediapotal 1.12 with no problem until recently.All of a sudden found tv service not running in task manager.When I clicked on the tv server config. the set up database conections box comes up and when I press the test button the dependancy turns green and host name turns red.It says conection failed then unable to connect to any of the specified mysql hosts.So I tried to re-install MP again.The install gets to the installation of MySQL server and a CMD box comes up saying Using a password on the command line can be insecure,then a white box comes up saying MySql - set password error:1 followed by failed to install application [MySQL 5.6].I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling the tv server but the results are still the same.I have even resorted to install MP1.11 but still get the same results.This is very frustrating can anyone help please?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Bruce, if MySQL is failing to start/run then no amount of reinstalling of MediaPortal or TV Server will help. You're more likely to make the problem worse by doing that. I strongly suggest you check the Windows application log and/or MySQL log to find out what is wrong with MySQL. If you're not capable of doing that, use the MediaPortal Watchdog tool with option 3 to export your log files into a zip file, attach the zip file here ("upload a file"), and I'll try to see if I can figure out what is wrong.

Bruce Wayne

November 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Hi Thanks everyone for your quick response.I tried to do a bug report using watchdog but it gets so far through then this happens....See attached screen capture.

Attachments

• screenshot_20151118_193235.jpg
      screenshot_20151118_193235.jpg
      186.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Bruce, the message means you have no MediaPortal configuration file. To solve, simply open MediaPortal Configuration, select basic or advanced (doesn't particularly matter), click OK to close the dialog, then click OK again to close MediaPortal Configuration and save your configuration file. Now the watchdog should work.

Bruce Wayne

November 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks MM1352000, that was a quick reply! So, I did as you said and it worked so I've attached the logs for you to see.Thanks again

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again Bruce

I'm sorry for the delayed response - I've been very busy.

From the log files it looks like MySQL is running successfully, so please don't try to reinstall MediaPortal/TV Server again.

The problem seems to be either (or both):
    1. Security software that you are using (Nod32, Spybot, others???) are blocking TV Server from connecting to the database.
    2. The TV Server database connection configuration is wrong.

On the first point...
    Please check that your security software is configured to allow TvService.exe (TV Server's service) and SetupTv.exe (TV Server Configuration) to connect to your network (which is required in order to connect to MySQL).

On the second point...
    The database connection configuration is created/set by the dialog that you're currently seeing when you try to open TV Server Configuration, and is stored in c:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\gentle.config. That's a text file you can open in any text editor (notepad, wordpad etc).
    Currently the configuration is:
    <DefaultProvider name="MySQL" connectionString="Server=-;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=MediaPortal;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=300;" />

Note that the Server part - which is meant to contain the name or IP address of the computer which MySQL is installed on - is currently set to "-". That can never work. In other words, the database connection configuration is broken.

Please can you attach a screenshot showing the values that you enter into the database connection configuration dialog so I can see the "hostname", "dependency" etc.

Bruce Wayne

November 17, 2015
    Home Country
    Thanks for the reply mm1352000.I have attached the screenshot of what I think you mean, if it is not what you were meaning please let me know.

Attachments

• screenshot_20151122_194107.jpg
      screenshot_20151122_194107.jpg
      166.8 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yes, that was what I meant - thanks. (y)

So when you click "test" there it still says "connection failed", right?

Did you check the security software configuration?
    If no, please check that then try the database connection test again.
    If yes, please use Windows task manager to check if MySQL (mysqld.exe) is running. Note: you probably need to enable the option which says something about viewing processes for all users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom