Cannot install Mediaportal 1.0 on Windows 7 Beta build 7000 (1 Viewer)

Trem

January 12, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
TV-Server Version:
MediaPortal Version: 1.0
MediaPortal Skin: default
Windows Version: Windows 7 build 7000
CPU Type: Intel E6600 2.4GHz
HDD: Seagate 500GB
Memory: 6GB corsair ddr2 800MHz memory
Motherboard: gigabyte ep43-ds3l
Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT
Video Card Driver: 7.15.11.7816
Sound Card: Realtek
Sound Card AC3:
Sound Card Driver:
1. TV Card:
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver:
2. TV Card:
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver:
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider:
HTPC Case:
Cooling:
Power Supply: 500MHZ
Remote: microsoft mce remote
TV:
TV - HTPC Connection:

I tried to install Mediaportal 1.0 on Windows 7. I used the installed and chose to select which components to install. The list of components showed that Windows media player 11 was not installed and was about to be installed. Since Windows 7 has a newer version of Windows media player the install failed and caused the whole mediaportal install to fail. I have not found a way around this.

I understand that windows 7 is still a beta product but I've come to rely on mediaportal for my tv needs so it would be nice if this could be fixed :D

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there and welcome :)

There are a few other recent threads on same subject. A search will give you your answer. Since Windows 7 is not yet fully supported, this can surely not be a bug report. I will move thread to another sub forum.

dir

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    Actually, a search for Windows 7 here in this forum is an exercise in futility, since the search function sees "windows" and "7" as separate, and of course just gives you a million hits. So if you can provide specific links, great, otherwise you might want to not give general advice like that for fear of causing premature baldness in readers!

You can use google instead - "windows 7 site:forum.team-mediaportal.com" will be much easier.

dcwp

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 9, 2006
    Astana
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Thanks for the search string dir. I took a look at those threads and to be honest I'm not sure how to extract the files from a .exe package, which seems to be the first step they all recommend.

So I decided to putz around with Win 7 and MP anyway and I found an easier way to install.

If you download the MP Setup program, then right click on it you will find an option to "Troubleshoot Compatibility." I *believe* this is a new feature in Windows 7, but I jumped to it from XP without wasting time on Vista. Anyway, if you select that option it will take you through a very simple set of dialogues and end up with a functioning installation. At least it did for me.

Maybe this is what was meant in those other threads, but it went much easier than I expected from reading them.

BrownGhost

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Actually, a search for Windows 7 here in this forum is an exercise in futility, since the search function sees "windows" and "7" as separate, and of course just gives you a million hits. So if you can provide specific links, great, otherwise you might want to not give general advice like that for fear of causing premature baldness in readers!

You can use google instead - "windows 7 site:forum.team-mediaportal.com" will be much easier.

also you can add it like this here in the forum: Windows.7
    same om google. if you add ...... and no space, it WIL find only posts where windows 7 is :)

in om windows 7 to, and have MP latest SVN installed.
    The only thing i have problems whit is sound, its cutting out, when using HTMI / S/PDIF.. on AVI and Mkv movies 5.1 and DTS..
    other than that, it runns superb ;)

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    also you can add it like this here in the forum: Windows.7
    Interesting. I guess it would return the same as "Windows 7" (in quotes) - lets see...

"Windows 7" = 97 results
    Windows.7 = 97 results

cool - two less keys to type :D

BrownGhost

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 15, 2008
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    haha sorru forgot to say.. Select SHOW POSTS

if i do the 2 searches, i get
    windows 7 = Showing results 1 to 40 of 500