Can't browse network share on new build (1 Viewer)

Octavius

Portal Member
September 15, 2020
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm setting up Media Portal 2.2.3 on a new Windows 10 (2004) Build

The first issue I've come across is that I can't access shared network folders from within Media Portal. I can browse to them with no issues from within the OS, but Media Portal can't seem to access it. I've tried browsing to the share and manually entering it (screenshots attached).

Any thoughts on why it's not reading the shares, or what I can try to troubleshoot?

Many thanks

Attachments

• Browse to share.png
    Browse to share.png
    690.9 KB
  • Share Manual Input.png
    Share Manual Input.png
    1,020.6 KB

Octavius

Portal Member
September 15, 2020
Home Country
something is fixed on next version 2.3, i don't know when is planned, but it's soon.

Is there a specific fault with this version that's fixed in 2.3?

Can anyone on here say when it's expected to be released?

Is there something I can do in the meantime as a workaround? Is there someway I could enter the network path manually behind the scenes (registry, config file,...)?

Octavius

Portal Member
September 15, 2020
Home Country
@morpheus_xx, You're right I hadn't noticed that page on the Wiki, I was assuming that it would run in the context of the logged on user.

However, I had noticed the setting for network credentials and tried entering the logged in user's details, which didn't make a difference. I'll try again to double check that I've entered it all correctly.

What I did notice is that after entering the credentials, the next time I navigate to that setting in the MP2 interface it shows the username and password fields as blank. Is this just how the dialog box works, or does it indicate that the details haven't been saved?

Also, the MP2 (single seat) machine and the remote fileserver are part of the same domain. I've tried entering the credentials as <username> and <domain>\<username> without any luck.

Octavius

Portal Member
September 15, 2020
Home Country
What I did notice is that after entering the credentials, the next time I navigate to that setting in the MP2 interface it shows the username and password fields as blank. Is this just how the dialog box works, or does it indicate that the details haven't been saved?

After some testing, I've confirmed that when I enter the network credentials, Media Portal doesn't seem to save the settings. Does anyone have any idea why this might be happening? I've not noticed any problems with saving other settings.

As a workaround, I've given the Single Seat MP2 machine account access to the media share, which does allow it to connect successfully to the content.

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Media Portal doesn't seem to save the settings
    How exactly did you check this? I am currently trying to reproduce it...

Even though you are using the MP2-Client to enter the credentials, the setting is transferred in background to the MP2-Server, because it is the one to interact with network. Because of this, the credentials are stored inside this file:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config\MediaPortal.Extensions.ResourceProviders.NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider.Settings.NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProviderSettings.xml

Can you enter credentials again and check if the file has changed?

If not, please repeat once more.

Due to the need to transfer the setting to server, we need to call an UPnP service. This is done over network and potentially could fail.

Octavius

Portal Member
    September 15, 2020
    Home Country
    How exactly did you check this? I am currently trying to reproduce it...

Even though you are using the MP2-Client to enter the credentials, the setting is transferred in background to the MP2-Server, because it is the one to interact with network. Because of this, the credentials are stored inside this file:
    C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MP2-Server\Config\MediaPortal.Extensions.ResourceProviders.NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProvider.Settings.NetworkNeighborhoodResourceProviderSettings.xml

Can you enter credentials again and check if the file has changed?

If not, please repeat once more.

Due to the need to transfer the setting to server, we need to call an UPnP service. This is done over network and potentially could fail.

I've just tested by taking a copy of the file you mentioned above, than navigating to Settings -> Media Sources -> Network Credentials in the Media Portal Client. I tick the box to say "Use username and password..." (it is unticked every time I go into this setting), then enter the username and password and click OK.

I went back to the folder, and I can see that the XML file hasn't been changed. It still has the same timestamp, and is the same size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom