Cant detect DISH Network channels (1 Viewer)

mondo562

November 29, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have used Media Portal for some time now, and truly enjoy it. The only thing that's kept me from using it on a daily basis is not being able to properly configure it to view TV. Recently I decided that I would finally get it up and running once and for all. I uninstalled my previous version of Media Portal and installed the latest MediaPortal 1.1.1 build and chose the option that I would use MediaPortal to watch TV. Once installed, I unplugged my Coax cable from my cable box and connected it into the ATSC/QAM connection on my TV tuner card. When I attempted to scan for channels, none were detected. I previously had done the same thing when I had TimeWarner Cable and the channels would be detected immediately, but now I have switched to Dish Network and I cannot detect a single channel. Is there something I might be doing wrong?

Note : I have a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 Tv tuner card

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
The "cable box" with Dish Network is really a satellite receiver and will have to be left connected. you may have a Coax cable going to your TV but the dish setups i've seen have a composite video cable & RCA plugs for audio coming out of the satellite receiver going to your TV, that's what you need to hook up to your tuner card. make sure the reciver is turned on then scan for channels in Media Portal, you'll just pick up 1 channel (3) and you'll need to use your satellite receiver remote to change your TV channels unless you can find a remote with a blaster that works with Dish.

mondo562

November 29, 2010
Home Country
That Worked.
Now the issue I'm having is theres a delay between the time I press a button on my dish remote, and the time it is displayed.
Is there anyway I can remove the delay so that it displays the video from the dish receiver in real time?

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
Is there anyway I can remove the delay so that it displays the video from the dish receiver in real time?

Not that i know of.

The delay is the time it takes for your TV tuner card & Media Portal to write the .TS file to your hard drive (Timeshifting) then read it and send the signal to your TV, should only be a slight delay.

mondo562

November 29, 2010
Home Country
It's about a 15second delay, so it's pretty bad.
I tried changing some of the timeshift setting to see if that would help, but it didn't.
I'm going to just clean install my computer and just start from scratch to see if that helps.

TLD

Portal Pro
October 26, 2007
Rainy Washington
Home Country
That is a long Delay. I'm only delayed a second or two with my Comcast cable box. Sorry i don't know a solution for your problem.

mondo562

November 29, 2010
Home Country
It's cool,
I'm going to just keep messing with it, hopefully I can find a solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom