Can't Find Server (1 Viewer)

macmr

Portal Pro
August 21, 2011
Home Country
Hi I upgraded from 1.3.0 to 1.14.0 Pre Release recently and have had a few issues and this is one of them

Sometimes when Mediaportal starts and you go to watch tv it can't find the tvserver. It shows the correct connection and if I press the "back" button everything works ok but it's annoying to have it happen

I have a single seat application and tried using the loopback connection but this didn't make any difference

I also tried delaying the startup more than I already had it set but this was no help either

No logs but if you need them let me know how and I will get them

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and thanks for the report. :)

No logs but if you need them let me know how and I will get them
    Yeah, I'm sorry to say that log files are required for a problem like this. I won't be able to figure out what's going on without them.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Thanks for the quick reply I'll read up on how to get logs when Mediaportal hasn't crashed. Only problem is it mostly finds the server but not always so to catch it for a log may take some time

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'll read up on how to get logs when Mediaportal hasn't crashed.
    You can use the Watchdog tool with option 3 to export the existing log files.
    If you're going to do that, I'd suggest first setting the log level/verbosity to "debug":
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Portal_Configuration/11_General#Log_verbosity

...then waiting until the problem occurs again before doing the export. It'd also be really helpful to specify the date and time when the problem occurred, just in case it isn't obvious in the log files.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    By the way, just looking at the log files from your other thread and wondering if they may have some cross-over applicability for this thread...

Are you still using the loopback connection? I ask because your [network] config looks a little unusual.

TV Server log says the following on startup:
    [2016-04-14 04:56:25,651] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.1.1
    [2016-04-14 04:56:25,651] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: local ip address:192.168.2.1
    [2016-04-14 04:56:25,729] [Log ] [TVService] [INFO ] - Controller: server running on 192.168.2.1

Normally I'd have expected 192.168.1.1 to be the IP address for a switch/router, so that in itself makes me sit up and take notice.

Your MediaPortal config includes:
    <section name="tvservice">
    <entry name="hostname">htpc</entry>

Given that you have 2 NICs and TV Server only fully binds to one, "HTPC" is a little non-specific. I'd strongly recommend changing your MediaPortal config to use an IP address rather than the hostname. Primarily that would be via the MediaPortal Configuration -> TV/radio section -> hostname setting. You may well find that fixes the problem. Optionally (if you know or can figure out how), you could also fix the client and server database config files (gentle.config) and TV Server Configuration -> streaming server -> IP address setting.

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi I will try and digest your reply and have a look. May take some time to do

Thanks

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Ok so I set the hostname to my loopback address 192.168.2.1 instead of "HTPC". I'll see how it goes

macmr

Portal Pro
    August 21, 2011
    Home Country
    Hi this issue happened again after setting hostname to 192.168.2.1. Logs attached

1. Startup approx 5:55 am with screen going to "please specify the ip address or hostname" instead of home screen
    2. This screen showed the correct address 192.168.2.1
    3. Press back button to go to home screen
    4. Start watching tv all ok

Thanks

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    After examining the log files I'm 99.9% confident that the issue you've reported is caused by a known regression in MP 1.14 PR. The regression has been fixed in MP 1.14 final, which is available now:
    https://www.team-mediaportal.com/news/mediaportal-1-14-0-release

It's actually caused by the issue I was thinking of and mentioned in your other "shutdown issues" thread. Now that the cause is clear and 1.14 is officially available, I'd doubly recommend to update again. Hopefully you'll get rid of both problems in one whack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom