Can't get Live TV to work?! (1 Viewer)

theotherguy

July 7, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
Been trying to get MediaPortal working.

Installed fine, DVB-T tuner detected, channels show up in the configuration, preview shows the channels work fine. TVService is running.

But when I start MP and select TV nothing happens. No error to say there is a problem.

Been through the config a dozen times and can't figure out why it won't work?!

Followed a youtube tutorial, I did everything the same and still no luck.

Just want it setup up so I can schedule some recordings. Possibly watch live-TV if I like the interface.

Logs attached.
EDIT: just noticed on while watching a YT vid, that "TV" should be showing on the home screen. This doesn't show up on mine, only the one the horizontal view (not sure what that screen is called).​
Also can someone explain why most (all) PVR programs have a database installed as well. I just wanted to change DTV programs as the previous one I was using was causing me grief as scheduled programs didn't record properly.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi theotherguy

Looking at your log files now...

EDIT: just noticed on while watching a YT vid, that "TV" should be showing on the home screen. This doesn't show up on mine, only the one the horizontal view (not sure what that screen is called).
    Not 100% certain what you mean by that (maybe you mean that it only shows in the "basic home" view?), but try this:​
    1. Open MediaPortal configuration.​
    2. Go to the plugins section.​
    3. Ensure that the TV and radio plugins are enabled.​

If those plugins aren't listed in there, the problem is that the TV plugin is not installed correctly. It appears like you installed TV Server, then installed MP client separately after that (?).​
    Check if the TV plugin DLL is present:​
    1. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the MediaPortal [Client] install directory (​
    C:\Program Files (x86)\MediaPortal).
    2. Open the "plugins\Windows" subdirectory.
    3. There should be a TvPlugin.dll in there.

Please tell us if the DLL is present.
    Also can someone explain why most (all) PVR programs have a database installed as well. I just wanted to change DTV programs as the previous one I was using was causing me grief as scheduled programs didn't record properly.
    Can't speak for other software, but we use the TV database to store channels, tuning details, schedules, EPG data, tuner details... things of that nature. All the "core" things that a PVR needs to know about.​

Hope that helps! :)
    mm

theotherguy

July 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Not 100% certain what you mean by that (maybe you mean that it only shows in the "basic home" view?),​
    horizontal - TV is shown​
    wjcoex.png
    Vertical (home) - no TV listed​
    250s0t5.png
    but try this:​
    3. Ensure that the TV and radio plugins are enabled.​
    Yes, both enabled.

If those plugins aren't listed in there, the problem is that the TV plugin is not installed correctly. It appears like you installed TV Server, then installed MP client separately after that (?).​
    I didn't know there was two versions? I just downloaded MP from the link on the download page. Only installed one version?​

Maybe a uninstall and re-install might help?​
    Please tell us if the DLL is present.​
    DLL is there.​

Thanks for the quick reply.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

horizontal - TV is shown
    Yep, that is "basic home".​
    Vertical (home) - no TV listed
    That is "classic home". Normally the menu in the classic home will scroll up/down. I take it that even when that happens the TV and radio items aren't shown?​
    3. Ensure that the TV and radio plugins are enabled.
    Yes, both enabled.
    Hmm, strange. I can't see the TV plugin being loaded in the logs, even though I can see that MP checks if the TV Server is running.

I didn't know there was two versions? I just downloaded MP from the link on the download page. Only installed one version?
    MP has two distinct parts:
    1. Client: that is "the blue thing" that you open to view videos, music, TV etc.
    2. TV Server: this is a service that runs in the background, handling recording of schedules and enabling TV and radio in the client.

They can be installed separately or together. In other words, you can have a PC with only the client ("client-only install"), only the TV Server ("server-only install"), or a combined install ("standalone install"). So it is not really a case of "versions" - more an install choice/preference. What I was trying to say is that it looked like you did a "standalone install" followed by a "client-only install", but I could be completely wrong about that as it doesn't look like the TV Server install log was included.​
    Maybe a uninstall and re-install might help?
    Potentially.​
    Please tell us if the DLL is present.
    DLL is there.​
    Strange again.​
    Maybe a reinstall would be for the best. If you do that, remember to say that you will use MP to watch TV, and choose the standalone install option for MP client and TV Server to be installed on the same PC.​

mm

theotherguy

July 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I take it that even when that happens the TV and radio items aren't shown?​
    Correct​
    What I was trying to say is that it looked like you did a "standalone install" followed by a "client-only install", but I could be completely wrong about that as it doesn't look like the TV Server install log was included.​
    Attached for you perusal.​
    Maybe a reinstall would be for the best. If you do that, remember to say that you will use MP to watch TV, and choose the standalone install option for MP client and TV Server to be installed on the same PC.​

At this stage I think it might be the simplest option. If it still doesn't work I don't know what to do.

Thanks again.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Yeah, definitely go for the reinstall at this stage I think...

theotherguy

July 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Done the reinstall and the TV option is there on the homescreen.

BUT....

now i'm getting an unknown error, and previews won't work in setup giving "PreviewFailed: Unknown Error".

Quick google shows that it could be a database corruption. Hopefully the fix gets things working.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    now i'm getting an unknown error, and previews won't work in setup giving "PreviewFailed: Unknown Error".
    Quick google shows that it could be a database corruption. Hopefully the fix gets things working.
    Could be. There are other causes - tuner driver state issues being one of them. Post the tv.log and error.log if you want help with that. Could save you some time...

theotherguy

July 7, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Got it working. Don't have the slightest idea how. All channels don't show up in MP though!!

Noticed the checkboxes disappeared from the channel setup.

Seems to be working now.

Thanks for you time trying to get things working.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom