MP2 - V2.5 Can't get MP2 v 2.5 to link with my Spectrum wifi stream (1 Viewer)

Chuckinator

May 2, 2023
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
So, I appear to have done a successful install of Media Portal (MP2 vers. 2.5) on my Windows 10 machine but I can't get it to get content from my Spectrum cable wifi. It's a used Dell desktop with 8 megs of RAM running at 3.7 Ghz and 900 gigs of available memory on the hard drive. I have a USB wifi receiver on the computer. I've been able to pull up Spectrum TV just fine on my web browser, as well as a couple of other streaming services, so that's definitely working. I bought the computer just to be a DVR for my wife, who likes to record old movies and play them back, and hates the way the movies vanish periodically at the whim of Spectrum. I have Media Portal shortcuts on the desktop for the client, for logs and for Media Portal Configuration. I have set the Media Portal up for Client/Server on same computer. I can click on the Media Portal shortcut and it opens up the program. I can click through all the menus, but there's no content. There's nothing in the TV listings area. No videos, no movies, no nothing. When I go to Settings/General/Connections/Wifi I get the name of our Spectrum wifi (SpectrumWhatever) with a black dot in the circle. Which is weird, because I did not provide Media Portal with the login password, as I had to in order to get Spectrum on the browser. I'm, pretty sure that's a clue!

I clicked on the Media Portal Configuration shortcut and ran it but not joy. I think my Media Portal is configured.

Anybody have a clue as to what's going on? I've tried reading the instructions of course, but they seem to have been written by alien computer programmers on drugs. (No offense!)

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Sorry, but I think you are on the complete wrong path. Wifi has nothing to do with TV, wifi is a wireless connection to your rooter. If your PC has internet you have already a wifi connection and there is no need to change anything in MP2-client in the WiFi option.
    For TV please check first the WiKi, there are lot of info about supported hardware and how to configure it. Your post shows you have definitely not read the wiki carefully. I do not know what a spectrum cable wifi is, I can just guess it’s about IPTV!?
    Edit: I googled and it’s seems to be a rooter with cable tuner. I have doubts the default TV engine (TVE3) of MP1 and MP2 supports it. There is also an installer with TVMosaic provider (search for it in forum). This might work, but requires a server module apart from MP2 and reading how to configure it (it’s not developed and explained by us). We offer only the client solution within MP2.

Chuckinator

May 2, 2023
    Home Country
    Thanks for the response, I'll give the Wiki another look. I did read the documents. I'm not sure if Spectrum is using IPTV. Spectrum is a cable company I have subscribed to. They provide internet via a modem and a router in my home. Both TV's in my house have Roku recievers and we get our programming that way. The router sends the same wi-fi signal to my computer, which has a 2.6 Ghz USB wifi reciever that picks up that signal. My computer's browser uses that signal to connect to the Internet and give me Spectrum programming, which it does just fine. So it's not the wifi adaptor. I figure there is some link between Media Portal and the wifi adaptor that has not been made.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Your PC has WiFi, so also MP2 does, because client and server are installed on the same PC. You need to configure your TV.
    The wiki chapter starts with …
    To setup the TV-Engine you must use the "MediaPortal 2 TV- Configuration" tool. You can find a shortcut to this in the Start menu and on your desktop.
    So start here and follow the Wiki steps.

Chuckinator

May 2, 2023
    Home Country
    Thanks, I opened the Media Portal configuration link and I did follow the wiki steps and I ran into an issue. I was able to find out that I was hooked up via a DVB-IP connection. I clicked on the connection, and got a page with a dropdown menu for "Services" and a button to "Scan for Channels." The Dropdown menu was a list of services in various countries: Austria, France, Germany, etc. The Wiki said my provider should be listed in that dropdown menu, but I saw no listings for Spectrum or, frankly, anything in the US. The Wiki said that if my provider is not listed in the dropdown menu, I would have to "Prepare Tuning Parameters" which frankly, looks like a bear. I am pretty sure you guys have a Spectrum option on some kind of Services dropdown menu and I just got the one for chain-smoking Euros somehow. Of COURSE I did a search on the Wiki under Service menu and of COURSE it gave me a lot of hits and of COURSE none were relevant. Any idea what's going on?

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    . I am pretty sure you guys have a Spectrum option on some kind of Services dropdown menu and I just got the one for chain-smoking Euros somehow. Of COURSE I did a search on the Wiki under Service menu and of COURSE it gave me a lot of hits and of COURSE none were relevant. Any idea what's going on?
    If you don't get a helpful response to this question I suggest, as indicated in a previous post, trying TV Mosaic there is a link for downloads in the first post, though sadly the link for documentation no longer works.:oops: TV Mosaic is an independent TV server that is set up via your browser, it supports IPTV and on a quick look may offer a much simpler set up or indeed may find your provider automatically by default. If you can get it working the integration into MP2 is straight forward though I think you may need to reinstall MP2 with the version listed again in the first post of the TV Mosaic thread.

Last edited:

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    If you search in the forum you have only one thread dealing with a Spectrum Cable Tuner“.
    You might ask the user and hope he can help with the basic configuration. However he had unsolvable issues, so might be not active any more.
    The more promising solution is TvMosaic.

Pablik

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 19, 2010
    Home Country
    Czech Republic Czech Republic
    If I understand correctly, your device is combination of DVB-C tuner, router and some web access to play the channels in PC web browser. You can sniff http comunication with the help of Wireshark or Fiddler to determine channel url which can be used to create IPTV channel in TV server. If the url is not static(changes dynamically) then it would require to create additional plugin to TV server. I can help a bit If you provide http comunication dump.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom