Can't get past "Initializing Input Devices" (1 Viewer)

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
September 3, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I recently upgrade my MP Client with a clean install of Windows 8.1. I did a clean install of Mediaportal 1.6 also (client only).
The problem is that every time I start MediaPortal it hangs on "Initializing Input Devices".

Attachments

• Client Log File.zip
    21.5 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello

Please fix your TV Server hostname/IP address configuration:
    Gentle.Common.GentleException: The database backend (provider MySQL) could not be reached.
    Check the connection string: Server=INTEL-PC;Database=MpTvDb;User ID=root;Password=***;charset=utf8;Connection Timeout=30; ---> MySql.Data.MySqlClient.MySqlException: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL hosts. ---> System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.

If the server name is correct then ensure firewalls are not blocking access and use ping to check DNS is resolving the hostname to the correct IP address.

mm

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    I checked the TV Server Hostname and it connects fine.
    34td4t5.jpg

I then pinged the server and everything is ok.
    2jaaq03.jpg

I then made sure the Firewall was allowing both Mediaportal and Mediaportal Configuration through which it was.
    210hz6e.jpg

I then disabled the internal firewalls on both the server and client just in case.

I then tried to access some files from the server through explorer which I was able to.
    3344509.jpg

After all that Mediaportal still can't access the server.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Your logs say you're running server version 1.4 and client version 1.7. Mismatched client and server versions are not supported so please either upgrade your server (or downgrade your client) if you want further support. My guess is the problem would go away if you matched the versions.

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    Both Server and client are now running 1.7 but the issue still remains. (Repeated all the steps I mentioned above)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay. Your new logs essentially say the same thing as before.
    According to the screenshots your ping test and MP TV configuration both use IP address whereas the database configuration is using the hostname "INTEL-PC". Please check that hostname can be resolved from the client.

gonzo90017

Portal Pro
    September 3, 2012
    Home Country
    This is how I have the server set up:
    ngzozd.jpg

If I change the hostname to INTEL-PC on my client the connect test fails.
    14c7ldt.jpg

If leave it with the IP Address the connect test is successful but the issue still remains.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If I change the hostname to INTEL-PC on my client the connect test fails.
    Well, that points to a problem with name resolution (DNS) or an incorrect gentle.config file (database configuration) on the client.
    There are at least 3 connections between the server and client:
    • remoting (normal communication and control)
    • database
    • streaming
    The test in MP configuration checks the first two connections using the IP address or hostname you enter and database connection details retrieved from the server.
    The configuration test tells you that the remoting and database connections are fine if you use 192.168.1.81, but not working when you use "INTEL-PC".

When MP runs, it uses the IP address/hostname entered in configuration for the remoting connection, but it uses the local gentle.config file to get the database connection parameters. Since the client is configured to connect to the server database with "INTEL-PC" it is no wonder there is a problem.

Again and in other words, the client can see the TV Server but it can't connect to the server's MySQL database... either because INTEL-PC is not correct or not resolving to 192.168.1.81 on the client, or for some other unknown reason.

I repeat:
    If the server name [INTEL-PC] is correct then ensure firewalls are not blocking access and use ping to check DNS is resolving the hostname to the correct IP address.
    Please check that hostname can be resolved from the client.

To be explicitly clear:
    What happens when you ping "INTEL-PC" from the client?
    Does it resolve to 192.168.1.81 as expected?
    Is the name of the server actually "INTEL-PC"?
    Does the gentle.config file on the client actually match the gentle.config file on the server?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom