Can't open Media Center (1 Viewer)

Woody Brown

October 24, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
After trying for three days to get MP working, I gave up and uninstalled it.
Now I cannot open Media Center.
Something about a software restriction policy --
I remember something about that when trying to setup MP, but thought uninstall would negate it, apparently not.
How can I get my MC back, now that MP has apparently hijacked it and I no longer have MP installed?

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

Reinstall the TV server part, launch configuration and reactivate the MCE under Additional 3rd party checks.

However, I am almost certain that if you told us about your problems, we would get your personal MePo working in no time :). So if you would like to give it another try, here we are.

Woody Brown

October 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Thanks, I will keep that in mind, and I will give MP one more try, since I have read such high praise for it.
    Whether I clicked on the MP icon, or the MP Configure icon, my computer went to the Configure. Why would that be?
    On the forum, I found one very detailed post on setup, and I will try that again.
    If OK, I will post back in this thread, any specific problems I encounter.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    MePo requires some initial configuration in order to be able to run. That's why you are sent straight into the Configuration first. Without configuration there is no information about the IP address of the TV Server, its database system (you might be using MSSQL), folders for Music, Videos, movies, etc, etc. etc. While the latter is not mandatory for MePo to start, the TV Server definition is.

Actually the MePo configuration creates a settings XML file, which MePo reads when it starts. If it's not existing you are sent to Configuration first.

Last edited:

Woody Brown

October 24, 2014
    Home Country
    That detailed guide was on the AVS Forum, posted by robbo100, on 5/13/12.
    I followed that, as well as I could, except I skipped music and pictures, since I am currently only interested in TV.
    Codecs, I left with LAV set.
    After channel scan (all appear to have been discovered), a preview failed because 'all cards are busy" - I assume that 'cards' means tuners, and with an HDHomeRun Prime I have three; only one was busy.
    Back in tuner setup, one of the three was listed as "unknown", while other two were listed as "astc".
    When attempting channel test, all were 'ignored'. What does that mean?
    Started MP and got Master Menu, but quite naturally, nothing else.
    This, as well as I can recall, is just about the same as I experienced yesterday, except that then I changed Codecs, as instructed in the guide to which I referred.
    I recall, from yesterday, that I selected SQL5, whatever that is.
    I hope this update will get you closer to a solution for me.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome Woody :)

If you're using an HDHomeRun PRIME then robbo100's guide is going to be incomplete. Setup for TV in the UK is very different to setup for the US, especially with a CableCARD tuner like the PRIME.

I'd recommend you check out the information here:
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...rver_Configuration/02_TV_Servers/7b_Scan_ATSC

The original version of that information is here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/cablecard-tuner-support-for-mediaportal-1.112585/

In short:
    1. Make sure you install the patch for tuner detection -->here<--. That will resolve the unknown tuner thing you saw.
    2. Make sure you configure the "CAM" as instructed -->here<--. That will resolve the "all cards busy" message you're seeing (...and yes, Europeans seem to call tuners cards - they're a weird bunch! :p ).
    3. Make sure 90% of your channels have proper names. If many are named "Unknown..." then personally I'd recommend you delete them all and start over with the above instructions. You'll get a much better result.

When attempting channel test, all were 'ignored'. What does that mean?
    It means none of the channels were tunable. That's due to the "CAM" configuration thing I mentioned above.

Once again, I recommend you take a look at one or both of the guides linked above. They should cover the TV Server setup for CableCARD tuners reasonably well. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We're here to help. :)

Regards,
    mm

Woody Brown

October 24, 2014
    Home Country
    mm, Have live TV, but in setting up EPG, under 'Setup MC2XML", I got the mc2xmltv.dat file, but not the xmltv.xml file.
    Tried three times with same result.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Are you talking about this?
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...V_Guide_Setup_(EPG)/XMLTV_mc2xml#Setup_MC2XML

From the mc2xml website it looks like the default is to create xmltv.xml in the same folder as mc2xml.exe. However, you can run mc2xml with the "-o" switch/option to change that.
    Did you use the "-o" option or not?
    Is mc2xml running into an error?

Beyond that I'm not really able to help with mc2xml as I've never used it. Best I can suggest is to check out the mc2xml home page:
    http://mc2xml.hosterbox.net/

It seems to have additional details/instructions for setting up mc2xml with MediaPortal.

Woody Brown

October 24, 2014
    Home Country
    Yes, I think that is where I was, and I was here --
    Setup MC2XML
    1. Click on mc2xml.exe to start the program.A few seconds later a “setup” window will pop-up.
    2. Set your zipcode, country, select "Microsoft legacy" (for the free version), and press "OK".
    3. A few seconds later a "lineup" window will pop-up listing available lineups or service providers. Select your lineup, e.g.
      • For OTA (antenna) in US select "Digital Terrestrial Lineup", and press "ok".
    4. After a few seconds mc2xml downloads the EPG data and creates a xmltv.xml file in your xmltv folder. Rename this file tvguide.xml. Mc2xml also creates a mc2xml.dat file that holds setup information. Delete the mc2xml.dat file if you need to repeat the zipcode and lineup selection steps.
    Note: you may also create a batch file to auto rename the xmltv.xml file to tvguide.xml for you.

mc2xml has a number of feature to select which channels you wish, rename them to match your channel names in MediaPortal, etc.
    but (in #4) I got no xmltv.xml file.

RonD

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • December 20, 2011
    SillyValley CA
    Home Country
    For testing you can open a windows cmd.exe window, cd to the folder with mc2xml and type mc2xml. You should see status messages when mc2xml runs. Yhis might show why you are having problems. Copy/paste mc2xml output to forum if you are having problems,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom