Cant play some files - LAV Video issue? (1 Viewer)

glenb83

Portal Pro
April 24, 2009
Home Country
Hi all,

I have found that a couple of my video files won't play in mediaportal. I have been able to play them in the past, and not sure what is causing it.

I have it configured to play with LAV Video and the CUVID hardware option selected. When I choose the default Microsoft codec though I am able to play the file. I have attached a sample logfile of a video that doesn't work, hopefully someone can help me figure out why and get it working with LAV Filters, I'd really like to keep LAV as my video codec.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Saw you were opening a Rihanna Rude Boy video which was mp4 extension, I've tested quite a few mp4 files and they play fine with LAV for video and audio.

Could be a bad encode, you could try remuxing with mkvmerge, only takes a couple of seconds and see if that sorts it out.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Yeah that was one of the files that doesnt work correctly. Thing is when I switch codec to the MS one it works fine, and also plays fine in VLC.

I will try to remux anyway and see what happens. How exactly do I do that anyway, is there a guide somewhere?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    MKVMerge is part of MKVToolnix, just drop the file into its window and select "start muxing", cannot be simpler.

MKV is the recognised container of choice, never had one fail to play, unlike some other dodgy downloads cough!! that will not.

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    Here's an update:

I ran MKVMerge on a few of the files that wouldn't play and then I was able to play them! I then went through and ran mkvmerge on ALL my media files, I just finished but now I am finding I STILL cannot play alot of files including some of the ones that originally would not play, worked and now they don't again. The strange thing is that Mediaportal still sees the file spec as Xvid/MP3 even though the files are now MKV files.

The strange thing is that the files play ok in VLC or if I configure MP with a different codec, which is unfortunate because I really like the LAVfilters.

I have run ccleaner and the ccleaner reg cleaner, ran filmerit and fixed 2 error lines, and uninstalled handbrake (which was the only other media related program installed), uninstalled LAVFilters from the MPExtensions, rebooted and reinstalled but still have no luck. Im considering doing a backup with backup settings plugin and then a full reinstall of the Windows/Mediaportal, but would prefer not to if at all possible. I was able to play these very same files in earlier revisions of LAVFilters.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me to get it working, or an alternate minimalist codec package to install?

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    LAV is on version 0.49, you really do not want to go down codec hell, which is where you are now.

Uninstall LAV, reboot, run filmerit (link in signature) and check for errors, if any found then unlock padlock and press red button, now download ccleaner and use the registry scan, cleanup any faulty registry errors, now reboot.
    Re-install the LAV filters, reboot again, now go into LAV video config, available from your start menu, and make sure the filetypes you need are enabled including VC1, DO NOT ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION FOR MPEG-4, as its currently not recommended, so your settings should look similar to mine.

sshot-54.jpgsshot-55.jpg

glenb83

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2009
    Home Country
    LAV is on version 0.49, you really do not want to go down codec hell, which is where you are now.

Uninstall LAV, reboot, run filmerit (link in signature) and check for errors, if any found then unlock padlock and press red button, now download ccleaner and use the registry scan, cleanup any faulty registry errors, now reboot.
    Re-install the LAV filters, reboot again, now go into LAV video config, available from your start menu, and make sure the filetypes you need are enabled including VC1, DO NOT ENABLE HARDWARE ACCELERATION FOR MPEG-4, as its currently not recommended, so your settings should look similar to mine.

View attachment 101004View attachment 101005

Thanks Ray!!!!

Seems my problem was 1 simple checkbox - I had hardware acceleration on for MP4. As soon as I unticked that I was able to play 1 of the movies that wouldn't play before (I will test some more later, but I reckon that was probably the problem! Thanks again for your help mate.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Apparently it is a Nvidia driver problem, one day it may get fixed, a long with a few other niggles like TDR's after the 285.xx series of drivers (n)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom