catchup recordings (1 Viewer)

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
March 27, 2013
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I don't know if this is possible but a feature that would be pretty awesome would be to have catchup built into the epg.

What I mean is the ability to specify channels and a time frame and have TV server record all the programs in that time frame and allow you to play them back directly from the epg?

I would love to be able to record the 5 main channels over a 5 day period.

I know this will take a huge amount of space but I have a 4tb array for media and a further 2tb jbod for random usage. I worked out that bbc1, bbc2, itv, ch4 and ch5 in HD would need about 15GB/hour so would be around 1.8TB.

It could be done on a rolling basis so that it deletes the oldest day to record the latest day.

I know a lot of users would love this feature, especially if it was configurable!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I don't know if this is possible but a feature that would be pretty awesome would be to have catchup built into the epg.

What I mean is the ability to specify channels and a time frame and have TV server record all the programs in that time frame and allow you to play them back directly from the epg?

I would love to be able to record the 5 main channels over a 5 day period.

I know this will take a huge amount of space but I have a 4tb array for media and a further 2tb jbod for random usage. I worked out that bbc1, bbc2, itv, ch4 and ch5 in HD would need about 15GB/hour so would be around 1.8TB.

It could be done on a rolling basis so that it deletes the oldest day to record the latest day.

I know a lot of users would love this feature, especially if it was configurable!
    I think the scheduling you look for is already possible. Go to schedules screen and on the right side you'll find the "New schedule" button opening the dialog for manual recordings:
    295517_Unbenannt.jpg

Playing recodings from within EPG makes not much sense to me. We have the recordings section for that. Especially if the recording is overlapping EPG programs, how do you want to start those recordings then from within EPG?

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Not sure if I explained myself properly.

For instance if I specify in the settings I want to do a 5 day catch up on channels 1 through 5, it would have a separate recording folder called 'catchup' that's not accessible by the user (so I guess this would most likely be a TV server addition) where all programs are recorded in the date/time range selected and the files are saved by the broadcast ProgramID.

Then when viewing the TV guide it allows a 5 day view back of the full guide. If you select a program that is finished (ie in the past 5 days) it uses the ProgramID to search back on the server for that program.

If it find's a matching program it then plays it. If it doesn't find a matching program then it pops up a message stating 'Catch up not available'.

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Not sure if I explained myself properly.

For instance if I specify in the settings I want to do a 5 day catch up on channels 1 through 5, it would have a separate recording folder called 'catchup' that's not accessible by the user (so I guess this would most likely be a TV server addition) where all programs are recorded in the date/time range selected and the files are saved by the broadcast ProgramID.

Then when viewing the TV guide it allows a 5 day view back of the full guide. If you select a program that is finished (ie in the past 5 days) it uses the ProgramID to search back on the server for that program.

If it find's a matching program it then plays it. If it doesn't find a matching program then it pops up a message stating 'Catch up not available'.
    Ok, now I understand what you mean, I think it's not possible with any PVR software and sounds very specific. Implementation would be very complicated and user group using such feature rather small. As we have very limited resources and a long more important feature list, probability for implementation is very low. I'm not the decider though, please don't misunderstand me :) If you are lucky, you find a dev with same needs.

coolblue

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 12, 2011
    nähe Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Very cool idea!
    +1

But I understand that this is not a priorized feature for (the new) MP2.

ArgusTV is back in development. Maybe you post there your idea. (It's a plugin for MP1, maybe in some time for MP2, too)

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I grant that the idea seems attractive but not sure about the concept. I seems you are proposing to store locally what is available externally via the various "Catch Up" options supplied from the broadcasters. For example the BBC Iplayer offers 30 days worth of catchup programs which can be played and/or downloaded in MP via the Online Videos plugin. So other than consuming large amounts of local storage I don't see what advantage it would have.:unsure:

jonathantwynham

Portal Pro
    March 27, 2013
    Home Country
    The advantage is that I don't have to faff about going into online videos, searching through the channel and day to find the program I want. All I would have to do is scroll back in the epg to click the program and it plays it.

The amount of times I've just missed the beginning of a program by 15mins this would solve it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom