CE 4.2 .NET Build (1 Viewer)

A

Anonymous

Just wanted to start a thread here to see if there would be any interest in developing a port for the ce4.2 .net platform.

I've been working with embedded systems developing kiosk based software on ce 4.2, and just found media portal.

Ultimately, getting an app like this ported over to an embedded system would be great, you wouldn't need a full blown operating system to run media portal and perhaps garner some performance improvements.

From what I've gathered looking at the source, some of the things that would need to be changed to support the jump to CE would be the directX libraries. (there may be others, but I'm still trying to understand all these projects).

I'm down for working on this if anyone else would think it would be a good fit. And who knows, with CE 5.0 around the corner, the porting issues may not be as difficult.

Any comments, crits, suggestions welcome.

Good work so far. Keep it up!

~Bazooka

A

Anonymous

*bump*

So, how much work would it take to get MediaPortal onto WinCE 4.2?

Appears that WinCE has .Net Compact Framework that could be used with some work.

As Bazooka mentioned, CE 4.2 has Direct3D but not DirectX which would be an issue.

Anyone have comments for the scope of this type of project?

Alex

A

Anonymous

CE 4.2 Port

I'll be starting a CE port for MIPS processor in a HDTV SOC. Once the BSP/Platform is running I'd love to put MediaPortal on it.

Y

yuvalr

Hi!

I think it would be a huge amount of work to port this to CE. The compact framework is a subset of the full framework. There is no COM interop (well, there is going to be one in version 2).

If you would like to have MediaPortal in a closed system (like Kiosk), I would recommend using embedded XP and not Windows CE.

Frodo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If you would like to have MediaPortal in a closed system (like Kiosk),

MP is licensed under GPL
    and the GPL license DOES NOT ALLOW using (parts of) mediaportal in closed and/or commercial applications

frodo

Y

yuvalr

Hi!

I think it would be a huge amount of work to port this to CE. The compact framework is a subset of the full framework. There is no COM interop (well, there is going to be one in version 2).

If you would like to have MediaPortal in a closed system (like Kiosk), I would recommend using embedded XP and not Windows CE.

A

Anonymous

yuvalr said:
    Hi!

lol

A

Anonymous

FRODO WROTE

MP is licensed under GPL
    and the GPL license DOES NOT ALLOW using (parts of) mediaportal in closed and/or commercial applications

frodo

It amazes me how many open source developers don’t really know what the GPL License allows or disallows in regards to using
    GPL works in a commercial application. If I build a Win CE version of MP and sell it all ready installed on a box. The GPL License has no problem with it as long as I proved the source code to MP with each box I sell.

ardu

Portal Member
    July 19, 2007
    Home Country
    Porting to Windows CE 6.0

Hi, Is there any follow up on porting to Windows Embedded CE (5.0 or 6.0)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom