[other] Change increase volume keyboard shortcut to '+' (1 Viewer)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Started on: 2009-06-06
    last update: 2009-06-07 (Added to SVN)

Summary: Change the increase volume keyboard shortcut from '=' to '+'

Area: General?

Description:

Ok, this might be a small an stupid suggestion, but I don't see why we don't have the '+'-button as the button that increases the volume as defeult.

'-' is used for lowering the volume and that is both logical and easy since every keyboard has the '-' button on a separate key. But for me the '=' button is only available when using 'shift'+'0' and that causes some problems in combination with Imon.

As far as I can see the '+' button is not in use atm so why can't we use that to increase the volume instead of the '=' button? It's both more practical and logical imho.

I don't know how much work it is to change this tough so forgive me if it's alot of work.

rekenaar

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2006
    Home Country
    South Africa South Africa
    Hi there :)

You feel like changing it yourself?
    • Open MP Configuration
    • Expand General
    • Select Keys And Sounds
    • Expand Global Actions
    • Select Volume Up
    • Press Delete button
    • Scroll up and Select Global Actions
    • Press Add button
    • Desctiption = Volume Up
    • Action = ACTION_VOLUME_UP
    • Key = +
    • Sound = click.wav

Hope that helps :)

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Yes, I found that solution, but why not make it default with the installation? What is the logic behind using = instead of +?

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I don't know how much work it is to change this tough so forgive me if it's alot of work.

The amount of work required is changing a "=" to a "+" in keymap.xml.
    I don't know if there is a deeper reason for this strange default setting.

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    Actually the reason for making it the default must be (I'm only guessing) that "=" is to the right of "-" in US (and most) keyboard layouts while "+" is "=" shifted (e.g. I have used Greek and US keyboards and both have this layout). So basically it is the same key as "=". In order to press "+" without using the keypad you'd have to press Shift + "=", which is kind of awkward, especially if you are using a regular keyboard.

And as Seidelin & Rekenaar said it's so easy for the end user to change it.

Seidelin

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 14, 2006
    Kgs. Lyngby
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    I just did a quick research on which country keyboard layouts are with "+" easy and which are with "=" easily accessible.
    "+": Danish, Finnish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish.
    "=": English, French.

Maybe we can include both + and = as mapped to volume up, and then make everyone happy :D

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I just did a quick research on which country keyboard layouts are with "+" easy and which are with "=" easily accessible.
    "+": Danish, Finnish, German, Italian, Norwegian, Spanish.
    "=": English, French.

Maybe we can include both + and = as mapped to volume up, and then make everyone happy :D

That would be a great way of doing it :) Just one of the small things thar can make a difference. The less customization that's needed to be done for each installation the better right? :)

I didn't know the + on non keypad keyboards in US and some other countries had the same problem that = has on other keyboards, and I tought most people used a full keyboard with keypad when setting up the computers.

But if you could implement the Winnie the Pooh-solution that would remove the problem no matter what keyboard is used.

(as a sidenote on the norwegian keyboards '+' is a non-shifted button after '7'-'8'-'9'-'0'-'+' and = is "shifted 0" while '-' is down beside ',' '.' '-' 'big shift' so you can see why I couldn't get any logic from the mapping :) )

But as I said I love the idea of having them both increase volume as default.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom