Changes for MP 1.6.0 - .NET 4 is coming! (1 Viewer)

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Advance notice for plugin developers:

The upcoming MP 1.6.0 Pre-release will be using .NET 4

Because this may break some plugins, the plugin subsystem compatibility version may be changed for MP 1.6.0 - so existing plugins may not work with 1.6.0, and will need to be updated and re-compiled using .NET 4

The exact changes are still being discussed within the team, but it is likely that 1.6.0 Pre-release will not have a general subsystem compatibility version change. This will allow us to discover which plugins have problems running inside 1.6.0

More information in the Wiki here - http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_...Plugins/Plugin_Related_Changes/1.5.0_to_1.6.0

Last edited:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    What is the best approach then in regards to MPEI?

There are users still stuck on an older version of MediaPortal that do not want to update for whatever reason. If they then update MPEI auto or manually it would break things for them. Now they can manually re-install an older version, but might not be aware of that.

For the pre-release I can compile an MPE1 file and offer this as a manual method, but was just thinking ahead for when the real version goes out.

Now I know MPEI Maker supports scripts and such, so maybe there is an easy way to 'detect' what version of the plugin is required and install the appropriate one, but probably best to not reinvent the wheel if somebody already came up with a nice solution for that. Or is MPEI already smart enough to deal with the situation by specifying minimum requirement for each individual update?

Edalex

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 3, 2008
    Saratov
    Home Country
    Russian Federation Russian Federation
    Does it mean you will bump plugin api version not just compatibility subsystem? So it will be impossible to build dll compatible with 1.3.0 and 1.6.0, am I right?
    Or is MPEI already smart enough to deal with the situation by specifying minimum requirement for each individual update?
    I think it's not dealing right with it/ Need to investigate it.
    Btw, not sure if I should recieve such notification but I didn't get it.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    We're still trying to decide exactly what needs to be/should be bumped, but testing so far (without bumping anything) suggests that most existing plugins do work OK without re-compiling i.e. they are already compatible with .NET 4

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country
    Yeah, we don't plan to bump the compatibility to break all plugins, unless they are broken anyway (which seems not to be the case).

The plan at the moment is to release 1.6.0 Pre Release without bumping anything. Then find out which plugins don't work properly and find out why, so we can bump what is needed, help plugin devs to fix bugs as needed, and generally make this as smooth as possible.

azzuro

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 10, 2007
    France - IDF
    Home Country
    France France
    There are users still stuck on an older version of MediaPortal that do not want to update for whatever reason. If they then update MPEI auto or manually it would break things for them. Now they can manually re-install an older version, but might not be aware of that.
    i think you can specify inside MPEI maker, the minimal MP requirement ;)
    You will add installer dependency with the minimal MP version.
    the MediaPortal dependency is wrong, based on 1.1.6.27644 because, was the last big change. ( but not sure of me )

elliottmc

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 7, 2005
    Cardiff, UK
    Home Country

Well, MPEI should not update to the latest version if someone sticks with MP 1.5. It should only update to the latest version reported as compatible.

Anyway, best to find out the scale of the problem first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom