Changing over from WMC to Media Portal? (1 Viewer)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm guessing the MP components run as a service so they can be set to disabled if desired? (on a temporary basis during eval).
    The only thing MediaPortal and WMC might fight over is your Colossus... and yes, to avoid that you can simply disable/stop the MediaPortal TV service when you don't want it to be running. You can do that from the "manual control" section of TV Server configuration or from the Windows Service Control manager (service name = "TVService").

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, one more q....

To run Media Portal 2 it says you need DirectX 9 as a requirement. The DirectX included with WIndows 7 appears to be DirectX11 - is that OK or do the mean it really HAS to be DirectX 9?

"You need the most current DirectX 9 runtime installed, which you can download here:"

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    OK, one more q....

To run Media Portal 2 it says you need DirectX 9 as a requirement. The DirectX included with WIndows 7 appears to be DirectX11 - is that OK or do the mean it really HAS to be DirectX 9?
    Okay, first let's step back a moment. I would not recommend MediaPortal 2 for you at present. You're welcome to try it if you want of course. I'm just aware that you'll probably struggle to get your Colossus working with it. It will be enough of a struggle to get it working with MediaPortal 1. For the record MediaPortal 1 and 2 can also be installed side by side.

To more directly answer your question: yes, as I understand it you need the DirectX 9 runtime installed. However the installer should take care of that.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    as I understand it you need the DirectX 9 runtime installed. However the installer should take care of that.
    Yes, you need to install DirectX9 also Dx11 is installed by default. And atm the MP2 installer did not care about requirements. MP2 simply did not run if you're missing some. MP2 is in Alpha state and the installer isn't feature complete up to now. In a later state the installer definitely will check if all software requirements are fulfilled and if not download and install them, but right now you need to take care by yourself.

does WMC need to be installed?
    Not to get use out of mc2xml. mc2xml grabs EPG data from Microsoft service directly just the same way WMC did by default. If you have nice EPG data inside WMC without using extra plugins/addons (didn't know how those are called in WMC), then you have the same nice EPG data inside MP if you're using mc2xml. I'm doing so since many years now. Most of the channels available over here in Germany are well suited by mc2xml. Only a few new stations are not covered. For them I'm using webepg to grab data from online TV websites.... As you can see, in MP it's possible to use different EPG source for different channels, if you like... BTW I'm using the "free" version of mc2xml, no need for the "donation" version here.

Marvin Miller

Portal Member
    March 1, 2014
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    OK, one more q....

Okay, first let's step back a moment. I would not recommend MediaPortal 2 for you at present. You're welcome to try it if you want of course. I'm just aware that you'll probably struggle to get your Colossus working with it. It will be enough of a struggle to get it working with MediaPortal 1. For the record MediaPortal 1 and 2 can also be installed side by side.

To more directly answer your question: yes, as I understand it you need the DirectX 9 runtime installed. However the installer should take care of that.

Hmmm...that kind of sucks. I was under the impression that Media Portal had more/less native support for the Colossus, and not only that, but more/less native support for multiple Colossi :) Having to revert back to DX9 is also something that seems odd to me when 11 is native to the O/S. My guess is that Windows Updates is going to see DX9 and then start downloading updates even though DX11 is already installed.

It might be better for me to wait a bit and look more closely into some of these things so I know more accurately what I'm getting into first. If memory serves, DX9 first came stock with Windows 98 ?

I sure appreciate the replies folks - you're helping me get a more accurate picture of what's involved in moving over to MP. It might be worth using an entirely separate box for testing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hmmm...that kind of sucks. I was under the impression that Media Portal had more/less native support for the Colossus...
    MediaPortal 1 does, and MediaPortal 2 should do as well. It is the blaster aspect that is more problematic. MP 1 wasn't designed to support blasters. They only work via plugins. MP 2 will improve that situation in time... but not immediately.
    To be clear, you can plug in one or more Colossuses (Colossae? :) ) and MP 1 will detect them, and you'll be able to view whatever is connected to the inputs. The issue is adding control of set top boxes on top of that.

Having to revert back to DX9 is also something that seems odd to me when 11 is native to the O/S. My guess is that Windows Updates is going to see DX9 and then start downloading updates even though DX11 is already installed.
    I'm not sure of the exact reason why DX9 is required, but I definitely wouldn't use the term revert. The requirement may be for something as simple as support for using joysticks and other [stranger] input devices to control MediaPortal (ie. DirectInput) and nothing to do with video/GPU stuff. Either way, you don't have to uninstall or downgrade DX11 or worry about blocking updates.
    Quite frankly I'd advise not to think too hard about this; go ahead and install MP 1 and see how far you get. :)

saitoh183

Portal Pro
    May 6, 2011
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Hmmm...that kind of sucks. I was under the impression that Media Portal had more/less native support for the Colossus...

I just finished converting over from WMC with my colossus and it worked with ease by using the Schedule Direct Plugin for EPG. Then you have to change each channel video and audio output (This post help me figure out which output i needed). Since the colossus is just to show your STB and no scanning is required, all that is really needed is the proper EPG loaded. The only issue i had was that SD plugin would work till i modified the my password on the site.

Having to revert back to DX9 is also something that seems odd to me when 11 is native to the O/S. My guess is that Windows Updates is going to see DX9 and then start downloading updates even though DX11 is already installed.

DX9 is only used by the applications that need them. Even with the release of DX11 lots of application still use DX9 for backwards compatibility. Windows will not force updates to DX9 since there isnt any anymore

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Just a hint or two for other readers... :)

Then you have to change each channel video and audio output
    SchedulesDirect should allow you to sort that out.
    Advanced options tab, external video and audio input settings.
    You may have to delete all your channels and have SD recreate them to get the correct settings... but that is much faster than manually fixing each channel.

(This post help me figure out which output i needed).
    That info (along with other helpful tips) are in the first post of that same thread:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/hauppauge-hd-pvr-colossus-support.94850/

I'd encourage anybody starting out with a Colossus or HD-PVR to read that post.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom