Channel setup should be easier (1 Viewer)

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Right now (tvengine3-03-25-2007--01-13h--Rev13562) channel setup is a real tedious process. TVE has some auto-scan option but it still requires a lot of extra work after the scanning is done (renaming, removing non-real channels etc etc). The old tv engine had a database with channels which made setup a breeze. In order to have me test this new engine more, this setting up should be a lot easier. Especially since every now and then the database is reset after an update.

So, my suggestion: use the channel preset database from the old engine.

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Right now (tvengine3-03-25-2007--01-13h--Rev13562) channel setup is a real tedious process. TVE has some auto-scan option but it still requires a lot of extra work after the scanning is done (renaming, removing non-real channels etc etc). .
    What are "non-real channels" ?

The old tv engine had a database with channels which made setup a breeze. .
    :confused: sorry? what do you mean?
    Especially since every now and then the database is reset after an update.
    These db drops are required when the tables are changed.
    But you might want to use the export/import function to backup and restore TV-Channels,Radio-Stations and schedules :D

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Right now (tvengine3-03-25-2007--01-13h--Rev13562) channel setup is a real tedious process. TVE has some auto-scan option but it still requires a lot of extra work after the scanning is done (renaming, removing non-real channels etc etc). .
    What are "non-real channels" ?

Ah.. well... it detects a lot of channels that are duplicates or something else but not channels you would actually use (too weak frequency or whatever). Anyway.. the channel names are also weird at points when it shows the name of the current program for the channel name. My point is that it takes you a conciderate amount of time to configure the channels

The old tv engine had a database with channels which made setup a breeze. .
    :confused: sorry? what do you mean?

Well, in the old version I could say that I live in the neth, and that my cable provider is UPC and I have the channel config for Ermelo and ... voila.. all the channels are set correctly. Just a few mouse clicks and you're done.

Especially since every now and then the database is reset after an update.
    These db drops are required when the tables are changed.
    But you might want to use the export/import function to backup and restore TV-Channels,Radio-Stations and schedules :D

I understand that these updates are required. Point is that you only know this after you reinstalled the engine after which you don't have the option anymore to export. So, if you forgot to do it....
    On the other hand, it is fairly simple for the program to do all this in the background (imho). Export the channels > update the database > reimport the channels. In other words: don't let the user deal with this.
    Even better, but I understand this is a lot more work, is to make the entire update process a better experience by not having to remove the previous version first and keep all the settings etc. But that's for the future ;-). First let's focus on the persistence of the channel config ;-)

Cheers,
    Danny

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    Ah.. well... it detects a lot of channels that are duplicates or something else but not channels you would actually use (too weak frequency or whatever). Anyway.. the channel names are also weird at points when it shows the name of the current program for the channel name.
    The TV-Server is now able to detect PayPerView "Sub" Channels. So this might be one part of the "non-real channels" you mean.

but that currently runninig programm is used as channelname..... i have never seen that before. if this realy is the case, then you should start start a bugreport please :)

My point is that it takes you a conciderate amount of time to configure the channels
    This is the point where i can not follow you.

In MediaPortal 0.2.2.0 i do
    1. add a TV Card
    2. autotune
    3. sort channels and create my own custom TVGroups

In TV-Server i:
    1. select my card
    2. enable (or not, i do not need that) that TVGroups for ptoviders are created
    3. autotune
    4. sort channels and create my own custom TVGroups

So, as far as i know there is no difference.
    • Could it be made easier? -> Maybe (no clue how)
    • Do i need more time to get my channels in TVServer than in MP 0.2.2.0? -> No
    Well, in the old version I could say that I live in the neth, and that my cable provider is UPC and I have the channel config for Ermelo and ... voila.. all the channels are set correctly. Just a few mouse clicks and you're done.
    This means that you import a channellist, and not run autotune. right?

Point is that you only know this after you reinstalled the engine after which you don't have the option anymore to export.
    The TV-Server installer is "warning" you that the db tables have changed and will be cleared.
    If you missed the backup before, then it would be nice to have a Backup/export feature there.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Chris, I think he has analog TV and the channel lists from our servers in mind. :p

That's still missing in TVE3?

ender

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 22, 2006
    The Netherlands
    Chris, I think he has analog TV and the channel lists from our servers in mind.
    Yes, mPod, that's what I have and what I mean.:D

but that currently runninig programm is used as channelname..... i have never seen that before. if this realy is the case, then you should start start a bugreport please

I will try again later tonight to see what is exactly happening. Point is that it detects a lot of 'noise' that requires a lot of attention and figuring out which channel it actually is.
    The TV-Server installer is "warning" you that the db tables have changed and will be cleared.
    If you missed the backup before, then it would be nice to have a Backup/export feature there.
    Well, the warning indeed is too late because the previous version is already removed at that point. But then again, optimal would be to do this all in the background. I wouldn't care about exporting/importing in the installer. All I want is that after a reinstall, my channels remain. I don't mind how the installer makes this happen :D

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    well, the warning indeed is too late because the previous version is already removed at that point.
    thats not correct then.
    db "should" get only flushed when you proceed. so at this point it should be able to add a export feature for your settings/channels/schedules, which can be re-applied after the db has been re-created

msj33

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 30, 2005
    Home Country
    England England
    What is status on implementing the old Channel list from TVE2?, so you could choose both Location(country), and cable Tv provider, sot that you get all the channels with correct names and frequencies...........and you get rid of all the Duplicates with low signal!

Its really annoying to manually correct all the channels ......I have to do it all over again, because my old exported channellist is outdated with current SVN.

/Morten

LordMessi

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 4, 2005
    Ørsø, Dronninglund, Denmark
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Yeah, it would be nice to have the "old" channel list config back in TVE3 - perhaps with an online editor + the ability to export/send ones channel list to the server through setup.

THDBASED

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Yeah, it would be nice to have the "old" channel list config back in TVE3 - perhaps with an online editor + the ability to export/send ones channel list to the server through setup.

That would be amazing if TVE3 could do that...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom