[Rejected] Choice of databases (1 Viewer)

jsimmons

Portal Pro
December 6, 2008
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Given that MP is a Windows-only product, I was really hoping for MP to detect (and allow me to use) my existing SQL Server install instead of forcing me to use SLQLite.

It's not difficult to support multiple back ends (SQLLite, MySql, SQL Server, Oracle, etc) through the use of DLLs, so the fact that this isn't already supported is perplexing.

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    MySQL was used earlier but was way too slow compared to SQLite. SQLite is five times as fast as MySQL. Those values are not "guessed" or calculated but measured on various real existing systems. And MSSQL is not faster than MySQL when it comes to the usage for MP2. You won't get a single benefit from using MSSQL but will have massive drawbacks if you use it. And as SQLite did not need any installation it's the only supported database recently. There are no plans to change that in future.
    As MP2 is Open Source you can write your own database access plugin for the server and replace the existing one. You can take the obsolete but existing MySQL plugin as a base to port it to MSSQL. Some devs have tried to do so in past but all gave up as it did not give any advantage at all...

jsimmons

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    The advantage (for me) to using SQL is that (being a developer myself) it's already installed on my server, and I can use SQL Serever Management Studio to poke around. As it is, (I think) I have to find a SQLLITE manager that allows me to do the same things SSMS allows me to do do, because there's no functionality built into MP2 to correct invalid imports. Do you have any recommendations in that regard?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'm using SQLite Expert (the free version is more than enough) for viewing and if necessary editing. But since a very long time I wasn't in a need to correct something. My 2000 movies and 30.000 series episodes are imported 100% perfect, and this every time I'll import them. Due to countless tests I've done I've build up my library 50 times the last 12 month and never had a single failure. Proper preparation of the media collection is the key to success here...
    Instead of poking around in the database I would recommend to prepare the media properly. then there never is a need for editing inside MP2 db at all...

jsimmons

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Are guidelines published anywhere for "proper preparation"? All of my video files are ISO files, and with over 12000 files, I am not willing to change them to another format.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Iso files are imported like other data, provided they are adequately named. A file name in the format "movie name (year)" will be correctly recognized.

jsimmons

Portal Pro
    December 6, 2008
    Home Country
    Mine are simply "filename.iso". The TV series files are named "episodenum title.iso" or "episonnum - title.iso"

I looked at the database (i got a firefox plugin for sqlite), and the episodes are in the M_MEDIAITEM table, but there's nothing in the M_SERIESITEM table.

Is all matching done with regex now, or can I still use the simple pattern matching I was using in MP1?

Can I just delete the database files and let MP2 re-import?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    If you don't want to change the name or type of your videos the easiest way is to add (Kodi or MP1 compatible) .nfo files to them. MP2 supports .nfo for movies and series. With correct .nfo a video is imported 100% correct. There are many tools out there to batch- generate such nfo files.

and the episodes are in the M_MEDIAITEM table, but there's nothing in the M_SERIESITEM table.
    This means they are imported as videos (what is correct) but not recognized as series... For series you need at least a subfolder for every series (the name of that subfolder is used to identify the series) and season & episodes number in the filename.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom