Choosing a graphic card with low power consumption/heat (1 Viewer)

Timmay

Portal Member
March 13, 2005
Yeah - thx for the enlightenment ;)

I'm guessing I'll go with a MSI Radeon 9550SE which is passively cooled and pretty cheap. The 9550SE is probably using more power than the 9200SE but maybe the reduced CPU-load will compensate for that ... another interesting topic to discuss ;)

AllenConquest

Portal Pro
January 9, 2005
London, UK
mPod said:
Did you take a look at this? Make sure you are running 800x600 (or 720x576 if you can) and START MP in fullscreen, don't start it windowed and switch to FS then.

I have always started MP in fullscreen mode and I'm running at 800x600. I still get some tearing and juddering. It was very noticable while trying to watch F1 motor racing the other day. Nut even slow steady pans can make the picture judder.

W

worm

I have heard from other sites that the best card to use is an ATI PCI based card. Low power, low price and correctly supports the DVI standards too.

murky123

Portal Member
February 20, 2005
Alphen aan den Rijn (Holland)
I see that a lot of folks have problems with stuttering screens when not running MP at 800x600
And worries about using a directX9 videocard.

where does all these probs come from????

I run a old readeon 9100 and ripped off the fan.
running MP at 1024x786 switching to full screen all the time and I have never had any probs with it

Am I just lucky????

vbap

Portal Pro
February 15, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I am running MP on 9250, with fan ripped out, using DirectX9.0c, running VMR9 renderless for all forms of video (TV, Video, DVD), and resolution of 640x480 (it's running on a crappy 34cm - that's centimetres :shock: - TV via the TV-OUT).

I have never had the tearing effect.

I have tried running at 720x576 (Oz uses PAL), but looks like the TV stays at 640x480, so the Windows GUI (and therefore MP) doesn't "fit" on the TV at this resolution. Is this just because of my crappy TV or are my settings not right? I have tried forcing the TV to use 720x576 via the "Advanced - Displays" tab in the ATI control panel, but doesn't look possible...

skulls

Portal Member
January 17, 2005
Barcelona
9200 SE no probs

Well I for one have the Radeon 9200 SE and have had no problems so far, running VMR9 renderless and such. I think it does have DX9 hardware-level, but then I'm not completely sure so..

One thing it doesn't do which pisses me off a little :? is that you can't set it to strange and mysterious resolutions such as 720x576 or anything that closely resembles 16:9 aspect ratio (that can be actually viewed on a TV of course ;) ) I've tried catalysts, powerstrip but no luck so far...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom