Operating System Clean install windows 7, best way to ? (1 Viewer)

PaRaN0iDnl

Portal Member
March 26, 2014
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Hello guys !

I recently bought a silent Sapphire HD6450 graphics card to replace my ASUS 490GT with fan.

But it now has some stuttering every 2 seconds like horizontal lines on the screen when a overview or a zooming out scene is active on a movie. The other scenes I notice is it less. This is with VLC btw (mediaportal wont start up at the moment hence the clean install also)

So my idea is to do a clean install again on my HTPC. But while I see on the documentation page update all drivers to latest and such I still have a few questions. Because with the other media player software (XBMC) or for whatever other install for that matter some people advice to not install any realtek drivers or any codec packs.

So what are the do's and donts for a fresh clean windows 7 install for a HTPC. Should I get the sapphire drivers or the ATI ones ? Should i get the codec packs or not. So i can get the right drivers put them on a USB stick and get them on when i format my hard drive.

Btw: i have tried a search but didn't really come across a similar topic. (excuse me if i made a double post)

Last edited:

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi PaRaN0iDnl,

But it now has some stuttering every 2 seconds like horizontal lines on the screen when a overview or a zooming out scene is active on a movie. The other scenes I notice is it less. This is with VLC btw (mediaportal wont start up at the moment hence the clean install also)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/16_Support/Troubleshooting/Stuttering_Playback

So what are the do's and donts for a fresh clean windows 7 install for a HTPC. Should I get the sapphire drivers or the ATI ones ?
    ATi ones (Catalyst package)

Should i get the codec packs or not.
    Stay away from codec packs. Install the LAV Filters, and you should be good.

Btw: i have tried a search but didn't really come across a similar topic.
    Most info is available in our huge Wiki ;)
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/1_Getting_Started/11_Preparing_Your_System

PaRaN0iDnl

Portal Member
    March 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Yes i have checked that Wiki page, But i had some questions i couldn't find on there, it mostly looks like it is some basic stuff that is normal in my eyes to do when a fresh install is done.

Thank you for the clarification on the driver and the codec question i had ! That's something i can work with.

PaRaN0iDnl

Portal Member
    March 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Btw the card i use is a HD6450 instead of 6750.

But i got another question are these LAV filters a must if i for example sometimes just use VLC player. Arent these codes already installed then ? So i wont get a conflict codec wise ?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Arent these codes already installed then ? So i wont get a conflict codec wise ?
    It can't hurt to have a few codecs installed on your system. I use the LAV Filters & PowerDVD codecs for playback, but you should stay away from codecpacks that aren't 'well build'.

Quote Wiki: Many of VLC's codecs are provided by the libavcodeclibrary from the FFmpeg project, but it uses mainly its own muxer and demuxers and its own protocols implementations. So can't hurt to use the besides the LAV Filters.

PaRaN0iDnl

Portal Member
    March 26, 2014
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Btw I am trying some stuff on that stuttering_Playback 'wiki' post. But a lot of links there are really old. For instance I am trying to get Proppage.dll somewhere but I am not sure which to get that now. I am going to try Filmerit to check if I got some codec conflicts. Also I am not sure if I need to try an older CCC because from what I can tell the newest version shouldn't be having troubles with this why people should downgrade CCC.

I have checked DPC Latency and that is correct no problems are found there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom