Closing Emulators Using a Xbox 360 Wireless Controller (1 Viewer)

milpool

Portal Member
January 25, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I wanted to share this info because I found it difficult to get a wireless xbox 360 controller working with Media Portal. It was easy to set it up for emulators, but not to map buttons to simulate windows keypress (such as alt+f4 to close Nestopia).

Please note that in my version and system attempting to use the direct input feature in media portal or the Joy2key program didn't find my wireless 360 controller. I have seen it suggested that this is because on the receiver is USB and not the actual controller.

Once you have installed you 360 controller software you just need to download Xpadder
Xpadder Free Download and Reviews - Fileforum

From Xpadder you can map keyboard buttons. Since I only use older system emulators I was able to map the bottom left trigger to do the alt button, and the bottom right trigger to do f4. I am sure you could customize this for your needs.

Thanks for this great plugin, I hope this post saves people some time.:eek:

gamingexpert

Portal Pro
August 10, 2007
Home Country
Xpadder is awesome, its what I use. You can also assign key combinations instead of just individual keys. For instance I assigned Alt+F4 to the R3 button (clicking on right analog stick).

I also use the program Macromaker to make macros that do things like start up mediaportal, turn up my volume and switch my display to my tv, all done from a hotkey that I can assign to my controller with Xpadder. (If anyone has problems with Macromaker I might be able to help, for instance I add delays in my macros, generally around 100-200ms, to make sure the computer has time to think.)

I also have a button on my controller that switches the control set in Xpadder from controlling Mediaportal/SMplayer to controlling my mouse with the analog sticks (and the on-screen keyboard and screen magnifier included with windows work well with it).

milpool

Portal Member
January 25, 2009
Home Country
Thanks for the tip, I actually didn't know you could map things to the R3 until I read your post and played with the program more and realized that it is treated like a button, and is independent of if you have the left and right analog sticks enabled.

I am now using R3 myself to do alt+f4 and setting up the macro was very easy in xpadder. My next project is to figure out a good way to do save state functions. I don't have a keyboard or mouse on my media portal box and would like to keep it that way. The best solution I can think of offhand is to simply map the lower trigger buttons to save and load a single state (I am doing all my tests with Nestopia). I have also been playing with the idea of using the remote to select different save states but that is not as appealing because I will have the 360 controller in my hand and getting the remote to do save states seems like it would get annoying fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom