Codec issues - all round failure (1 Viewer)

brooksonline

December 4, 2011
Home Country
Wales Wales
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.1
MediaPortal Skin: 1.7.4.3031
Windows Version: 7 Enterprise SP1
CPU Type: AMD Phenom II X6 64bit
HDD: No relevant
Memory: 4GB Dual Channel
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-GPA890-UD3H
Video Card: Onboard ATI HD4290
Video Card Driver: ATI 8.850.0.0
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: as above I guess
Sound Card Driver: Realtek Semiconductor Corp 6.0.1.6167
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:

Hi all,

This is a first post of a long time user as I decided if I could not fix my problem in an hour I would register and ask for as much help as possible

Most of my setup is described above but some parts are missing.

- Audio is connected using Optical cable to a Yamaha RX-V667
- Video is connected by HDMI

Prior to the latest 1.2.1 I did not have a problem running MP along with the StreamedMP skin. I followed an old codec installer which I think was FFDShow, haali etc. But since the upgrade I have been unsuccessful in having a set of codecs that work.

Before I start, I'm hoping people don't just forward me to links of other peoples problems as I've read quite a few posts on here and nothing has helped and I really appreciate any and all input!

Okay, so the last thing i've done is i've installed the SAF6 codec pack to find that almost every movie I play just says unable to play: <movie name>, then it tells me the codecs. I have mixed all ffdshow, ffdshow DVXA and LVAF codecs within the MP codec configuration tab and had no result. interesting, the MPC will play all my films and push the 5.1 through perfectly, but not in MP!

I've then tried an old mediaportal codec guide pdf and had some success. FFDShow on its own gets me so far but I cant seem to get picture from the codec.

I'm not looking for masses of detail, I'm okay with the terminology and the setup of most apps. As it stands I've ripped off all codecs and will try any combination of codecs to try and get this working!

oh, a specific question, if running audio to my AV receiver, would it by advisable to play most audio into pass-through mode over s/pdif?

one last thing, the files I play range from x264, xvid, divx (if anyone still uses it), AV3, MPEGII, DTS, DD5.1, WMA and WMA5.1.

Again I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks

Matt

One last thing. I havent attached any logs as I've ripped all the codecs off. if someone says, try xyz, then I will and will report back any logs etc! THANKS!

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Firstly try updating any video\audio drivers, if they go pear shaped then nothing works, been there, but not recently must admit ;)

Then if no joy run filmerit and see if any errors are found.

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Adding to Ray's suggestion of runnning Filmerit, I'd also try running the registry cleaner part of CCleaner.

I'm sure you know this, but if you are running 64 bit Win7 remember that MP is a 32-bit app so it needs 32-bit codecs installed.

MPC-HC (by default) uses it's own internal decoders, so it will almost always work.....

Tony

brooksonline

December 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Hi Guys,

Just a quick mid-fix update.

on the night of posting I went and installed the Haali MKV codec followed by the CCCP codec pack and set all the ffdshow video codecs to libavcodec (have no idea what this does but was recommended in the old mediaportal pdf).
    I then set the configuration to the following values:

MPEG2 - ffdshow
    h.264 - Microsoft DTV-DVD
    MPEG - ffdshow
    AC3 - ffdshow

with this combination I thought I had it. the video juddered when starting but everything worked...or so I thought.

When I went to play my TV series (lower quality avi files usually in divx / xvid codec, it would crash) Then I found a few films that would also crash. usually with DTS 5.1 on them.

SO! I followed orders. I removed all codecs, CCleaner went on and I removed anything I needed to (feels nice to clean that S**T up!). I've updated all my system drivers including bios etc (not done this in 6 months). plus installed the latest audio / video from ATI (which I found out I was not using) & Realtek.

Filmerit found quite a few problems so I resolved them and now I'm at a point when pretty much nothing plays (as all values are set to Microsoft DTV-DVD) apart from my TV avi files which are working like a charm.

I'm going to go ahead and follow this:

Haali Media Splitter
    ffdshow
    AC3Filter
    MPC Video Decoder

and see what I get. Get back to you soon! thanks agian guys

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    I really would not install those filters, from your desktop there is the MP extensions installer, run that and use the online update, now find the LAV filters and install those.

In MPconfig select LAV for all audio types under the 3 settings screens (tv\video\dvd), now see how everything plays.

BTW you must be using a Aero theme in windows for everything to work smoothly.

brooksonline

December 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    just to confirm you mean not to install any of the 4 I've listed above or just the AC3Filters?

Areo theme is all set and to Owlsroost, i'm using 32bit drivers / filters / codecs.

just to confirm you mean not to install any of the 4 I've listed above or just the AC3Filters?

Areo theme is all set and to Owlsroost, i'm using 32bit drivers / filters / codecs.

OK OK! I assumed you meant all of them as I've just done exactly what you said and its working a treat!!!! I CAN FINALLY WATCH BACK TO THE FUTURE AGAIN! :D

so just to recap.

I uninstalled everything including drivers.
    updated all drivers using ATI's not Gigabytes for video.
    ensured my Realtek Optical out was set to 5.1 Dolby surround
    ran filmerit and ensured there were no errors (the big red button top right seems to resolve all issues)
    cleaned up CCleaner (although no needed as nothing linked to this issue but was nice to get rid of all the old context menu's).
    I also removed MediaCentre and DVD maker from Windows as these are also known as a WASTE OF SPACE!
    then ran the MP Extension installer and updated all my extensions first then search for LAV and installed.
    on the Codecs tab in MP configuration, I set all available options to LAV Audio / Video (except the sound device which is set to Direct, as I like to swap and change sometimes).

I've now been able to play every file.

I've noticed my post actually comes top when you search for "mediaportal codecs 1.2.1" in google, hence this nice update as it will hopefully help everyone else having this problem :D

Thanks again guys! Really appreciate the advice

Matt:D

spacematten

Portal Member
    April 20, 2009
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Codec issues - all round failure

Don't know if this solved any of your problems but you say you configured your realtek optical out to DD 5.1, mmhh and there is a true DD 5.1 Signal at your AVR???

Windows only passes the uncoded Bitstream over the SPDIF when the speaker setting is set to Stereo.
    Might be a little hint for you.

so, to the codec issues:
    I uninstalled all codecpacks and have reboot my pc. then I installed the latest shark codec pack for win 7
    then started shark as adminsitrator and set the suggested settings, turned all output settings in ffdshow and lav to passtrhough and set halli splitter for avi/divX, default is Micorsoft splitter but then you can't handle avi with 2 audio tracks.

in MP I use for Video playback automatic decoder settings and for dvd playback the lav audio codec and Microsoft video decoder, all worked fine

maybe I could help a little

brooksonline

December 4, 2011
    Home Country
    Wales Wales
    Re: AW: Codec issues - all round failure

Don't know if this solved any of your problems but you say you configured your realtek optical out to DD 5.1, mmhh and there is a true DD 5.1 Signal at your AVR???

Windows only passes the uncoded Bitstream over the SPDIF when the speaker setting is set to Stereo.
    Might be a little hint for you.

so, to the codec issues:
    I uninstalled all codecpacks and have reboot my pc. then I installed the latest shark codec pack for win 7
    then started shark as adminsitrator and set the suggested settings, turned all output settings in ffdshow and lav to passtrhough and set halli splitter for avi/divX, default is Micorsoft splitter but then you can't handle avi with 2 audio tracks.

in MP I use for Video playback automatic decoder settings and for dvd playback the lav audio codec and Microsoft video decoder, all worked fine

maybe I could help a little

Hi mate, I solved all my problems with the guide I mentioned above. I'll have a god at the Stereo option but I'm pretty sure that the surround sound passes over fine! in fact, I tried a 5.1 ac3 sound file through WMP and it played fine to each correct channel.

The codec options you installed a pretty close to my old setup prior to 1.2.1 update but the LAV audio / video codecs set on all options seem to work a treat so I'm sticking with it. Plus the extension installer will update these when properly released for mediaportal too.

Thanks anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom