Codecs Codec issues with HDTV (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi.. So fresh install. Just installed the LAV filters using the installer from the google repositary. I have set the LAV video codec to use CUDA and changed no other settings. Set LAV to be the h264 decoder in MePo TV.

HDTV playing I see 10000 dropped frames in 30000 drawn..

I'm assuming now that this GT430 I've been advised to buy is actually not powerful enough at all to decode 1080p TV??

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Yes it is - if you look at my system specs, I run a very similar system myself - C2D E4500 (2.2GHz) + GT430 -> 1080p screen.

Just to keep things simple (for now), use MS DTV-DVD video decoder - this should run in DXVA mode. Hit Shift+1 (!) when it's playing to bring up the render stats and check it's actually using the codecs it should be. Also check the screen is actually set to 50Hz.

Tony

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    Yes, MS DTV-DVD for SD and HD video, maybe LAV for audio (in case you have any AC3 audio - MS audio won't decode AC3 in non-MS apps).

Tony

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Hi,

Changed everything to MS DTV-DVD for everything. The below is the results, and I ignored any drops occuring during channel changes, then started counting drops.

HD
    78 frames dropped in 20000
    SD
    0 frames dropped in 20000

Regarding the display rate, it says the source is 60hz and my display is 60.002429. What I notice with the graphs in both instances is that all the lines are flat except for the red line which is up and down in a repeating tooth like pattern (apart from when the frames dropped obviously). There is also extra text when I am viewing HD material where the codecs are listed which says Line 21 Decoder 2. Otherwise its EVR, Default Direct Sound Device, Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio decoder, Microsoft DTV-DVD Video decoder, TSreader.

I also ran MePo in window mode and see 13-28% CPU usage during HD playback and about 13-48% CPU usage during SD playback.

Is it possible to achieve 0 frame drops or is this considered acceptable and I should just leave it at this?

Thanks

Edit:

Is it worth noting I only have 2GB of ram, could this be a bottleneck?

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    For UK TV, you should have the display set to 50Hz - that will be why the red line looks like a sawtooth....60Hz is for stuff from the other side of the Atlantic (NTSC land).

2GB of ram should be enough.

Tony

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I'll re-enable dynamic rate changer, I'd held off because I didn't want to change too many things at once, I also want me 24p back on my movies too.

So those drops are considered acceptable and I should plod on now? :)

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    TheBatfink

One of the comments I see regularly over at the Nvidia forum is about installing drivers correctly, most of them state when installing only install gpu driver and PhySx software, apparently one of the main culprits for crashes\not working correctly is the Nvidia HD audio driver, if you do not install it then the M$ driver will be installed from mid 2010 in its place, not sure if that does full hd bitstreaming though

Owlsroost

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2008
    Cambridge
    Home Country
    So those drops are considered acceptable and I should plod on now? :)

To be honest, it's probably good enough for now - I'd sort out the rest of the re-install stuff and then see how it goes. On my system I can get zero dropped frames per hour on a good day, but it's more like 10-30 drops per hour usually for SD.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom