Codec Problem with 10bit 4k (8bit 4k works) (1 Viewer)

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Ok, then let's be more gentle ;)
    It seems like there is a communication problem between MePo and LAV ;)

Answer 1a:
    When I make a simple playback check with DXVA-Checker I just can use 1080p output resolution (because I just have a 1080p screen for this moment).
    Tested with jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit (to make it as hard as possible).
    From time to time, the GPU load gets up to ~90% but mostly it is about 20-30%.
    CPU is alwasy ~3-5%.

Answer 1b:
    You can make a so called benchmark with DXVA-Cecker where it trys to play as many frames as possible and you can set the output resolution to native (4k).
    jellyfish-400-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit makes about 35-40 frames /second (so just enough for smooth playback).
    When I try a 4k HEVC 10bit BluRay remux it makes about 50-90 frames /second (so it should be enough).

Answer 2:
    No, I never find a HEVC 4k 10bit file I could play with MePo.
    Just 1080p HEVC 10bit or 4k HEVC 8bit.
    But I think the jellyfish with 120-mbps is the lowest I ever found (if you find a lower, I will try it).

Anwer 3:
    Not yet, is there any recomented I should try?

General:
    Could be hard to figure out because of the time delay, but if you like we can try a TeamViewer session.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    But I think the jellyfish with 120-mbps is the lowest I ever found (if you find a lower, I will try it).
    If you can't find one, it should be possible to generate a sample for yourself using x265.

Not yet, is there any recomented I should try?
    Well, for a start you could try the advice that I gave earlier:
    In fact, you might want to try enabling the "manually select source and splitter filters" option to ensure that LAV splitter is being used.

You could also use GraphEdit/GraphStudio/GraphStudioNext to test a couple of scenarios:
    1. Connect to MP's graph and confirm which components are being used.
    2. Build your own graph with the same components that MP uses (or any other ones that you'd like to test) and check whether that works. This would be one way to conclusively confirm or eliminate MP as the cause of the problem.

Crix1990

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 9, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just to announce, that im still on this ;)
    I'moving right now and do the next tests in two weeks (I hope).
    Then with a real 10bit HDR TV ;)

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Take your time; there's no rush. :)
    I hope the move goes well and nothing is damaged.

Lotsofjazz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2008
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    If not done yet, maybe updating to Lav filters version 0.69 will help, mediaportal comes with 0.68...Change logs states this:

LAV Video

• NEW: Support for 10-bit UtVideo
    • NEW: MagicYUV decoding support
    • NEW: Experimental support for CineformHD decoding
    • Fixed: Converting 12-bit 4:4:4 YCbCr to RGB32 would result in a garbled image
    • Fixed: Decoding certain H.264 streams could drop a few frames at the start of playback

Releases · Nevcairiel/LAVFilters · GitHub

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom