Colour space settings and ATI drivers (1 Viewer)

gloomyandy

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 15, 2006
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I've just noticed that the latest ATI drivers now have a colour space option for my display. I have no idea which is the best (2 RGB settings and two YUV settings). Does anyone have any pointers to samples for SD and HD content thaat can be used to calibrate. Or any other information about how best to use these settings? MY understanding is that this is mainly about black levels and extreme white levels. However I seem to remember that ATI does some odd things depending on you output type (I use HDMI), and display source (SD/HD)...

Thanks

Andy

JoePlumber

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2008
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    YUY, YUV, RGB ?

YUY2 stores color data at a lower accuracy than RGB but we don't really notice any detail loss. Chroma sampling is half the vertical resolution. YV12 is similar to YUY2 but there are even less chroma samples (fewer bits, less space used). MPEG1, 2, 4 all use YUV (YV12). Examples, DVDs, Mjpeg and DivX supports 4:2:0 YUV (YV12) color.

Most video editing programs work in RGB32 (24-bit color) or RGB24 (8-bit color) because it's easier to work with. The video editor has to convert your video from YUV to RGB which slow things down and can cause detail loss. Colorspace conversion is bad! However, Premiere Pro can support 4:4:4 uncompressed YUV, which is same as RGB. Solution: use AVISynth for any video editing work because VirtualDub never touches the incoming video stream.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom