[TV] Combining Sumultaneously broadcast HD and SD TV channels (1 Viewer)

RedeviL

Portal Member
August 22, 2007
Wellington
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I think this would be far simpler than everyone is thinking.

Currently I have 3 cards: DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-T.
Both the DVB-S and DVB-S2 point to the same satellite, so the S2 card receives the same channels as the S with the addition of a number of HD channels. The DVB-T also receives a dozen channels (including HD) which are the same as the two DVB-S cards.

So this means there are quite a few combinations as I don't want 2 channels in the TV Guide for the SD and HD versions of the channel. Additionally EPG data is only transmitted over the DVB-S SD signal, so combining is required to fill the EPG properly.

I have the cards prioritised in this order:
DVB-S2
DVB-T
DVB-S

Obviously the overriding priorities are handled on the card level, but like robbo100 is asking - there needs to be a channel source priority.

When channels are combined, they're merged into a single item in the TV Channels list. If the channel is edited you can see the multiple entries - this is where the channel sources could be prioritised. It appears this list already functions with a priority of the top first, the top also always appears to be SD.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I can see where you are going with this.

I think you are saying that under the combined channel, you can select the priority order for tuner selection and change it from the default value (which would be set initially using the default system priority settings, but can be manually changed for individual channels where appropriate).

The only problem I can see with this setup is that you can not combine two channels from the same tuner. You would need to be able to do this for your proposal.

Robbo100

RedeviL

Portal Member
    August 22, 2007
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    A very good point I hadn't considered!
    I've never had just 1 tuner so didn't even think of that situation.

So this would need 2 steps:
    Allowing same tuner channel combinations.
    Setting manual priorities on the channel sources stored within combinations.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    In theory, even with multiple tuners combining simulcast channels from the same tuner will give the best result (especially if you have lots of clients (or record lots of TV))

Robbo100

RedeviL

Portal Member
    August 22, 2007
    Wellington
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    From my point of view it'd definitely need both, I get 5 sources for half a dozen channels from my tuners.
    Most being SD with 1 or 2 being HD.

DVB-T only presents 1 channel in HD.
    DVB-S/S2 present 4 - 3 SD sources (duplicates on the satellite) and 1 HD source.

Think there is definitely something here that could be developed and improved!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom