Commercial & LinPortal? (1 Viewer)

high

Administrator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 31, 2004
    Isselburg/NRW
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Just a quick note, Im sury everybody noticed that the last two newsposts were nothing more than a 1. Aprils joke, right? ;)

Whoever missed them:

MediaPortal goes commercial by Frodo

After many years of hard work in our free time the team decided they reached a point where we had to make a decision. Do we continue to move on and work on this in our free time? Or do we find a company interested and make MediaPortal commercial ?

The decision was taken quickly when Sony contacted us. Many other mediacenters gone commercial and now have extra funding in terms of resources, time, personnel. If MediaPortal wants to compete with the other mediacenters we have to keep up and only way todo this is if we go commercial.

As said we were contacted by Sony and the deal has already been made.

What does this mean for the future? will MediaPortal still be free? Sony forbid us to disclose any other information yet about the deal. I guess the future will tell us how it goes...

==========================================================

LinPortal on its way! by high

So... it is official now. MediaPortal will become commercial. Sure, it was a team decision but not all of us agreed on selling our souls to a big company.

Due to that some former teammembers raised a new project called 'LinPortal' (working title).
    The 'Lin' has a reason: To follow the Open-Source idea we will port most of MediaPortal to Linux. We try to keep as much code as possible. Sure, this will throw us some months back in time but we hope to make great progress soon.

Finally, we need your help! Everybody who is familliar with Linux and interested in working on a new media-project can and should join our new team. Please get in touch with LinPortal-teamleader mPod via IRC or contact-form!

See you soon in the free world on http://www.linportal.tv !

Also thanks for the nice comments ;)

mr_poopyhead

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    i must admit, you guys got me good. i had completely forgotten it was april 1. i feel ESPECIALLY stupid since i had JUST been at the google TiSP website just before coming to the MP site and i had been fooled by them already...

fool me once shame on you. fool me twice, shame on me.

shame on me indeed. good prank guys!

zicoz

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 3, 2006
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    That's not the right saying, this is:

"fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again." ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom