commercial use of MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

mediaMANen

Portal Member
July 27, 2006
Germany
Hello, I have a few questions for the commercial use of MediaPortal.

1.) Is it possible, as a company to sell MediaPortal with a MediaCenter PC? I.e. a company takes money for the MediaCenter PC, software support and self-developments at the software in the selling price only. The "software MediaPortal" is then free of costs.

2.) Does the seller have to watch out for licenses, patents or software rights of the MediaCenter PC with MediaPortal?

Thanks for your answers!

Lyxalig

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2005
    Norway
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    I'm no expert, but in general I thinkyoucan make a MediaPortal-embeded HTPC, and charge for your actual cost and support.

All developments however must be given to the community.

jawbroken

Portal Pro
    August 13, 2005
    Home Country
    Afghanistan Afghanistan
    This has been discussed several times in the past, if you care to dig those topics up. The main issue is not selling the computer with MediaPortal on it (which is fine, as far as I know) but more the fact that MediaPortal is still under heavy development. It is probably not really a great idea to sell a product to consumers when it is unfinished and the problems of handling bug fix installs, new release installs, etc. The amount of aftersale support and the like required probably makes it a bad choice for a commercial product at this stage of development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom