Compiling and debugging mediaportal (1 Viewer)

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Having been away for a while i recently checked out the latest source, but unfortunately i seem to have forgotten how to do even the simplest things (must be getting old). When i build mediaportal.sln (either from VS or from the bat files), i cannot run mediaportal.exe or configuration.exe from within \xbmc\bin\Release (or Debug) (and thus within Visual studio). They generate a "No available language" (missing some files named "strings_*.xml") exception.

Im guessing i should copy some files over from somewhere or run some batch file, which i have happily forgotten about?

I tried checking out the wiki, but all i found was this which just tells me to do what i already did :)

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    [21:51] <tourettes> Shouldn't the postbuild bat copy those language files?
    [21:51] <@MisterD81> IIRC it was only commented out but not changed

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Seems the problem is that it looks somewhere under %ProgramData% for the files instead of in the debug/language dir (where they are located). I had to change a few MediaPortalDirs.xml entries from programdata to the working directory in order to get it working.

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    Seems the problem is that it looks somewhere under %ProgramData% for the files instead of in the debug/language dir (where they are located). I had to change a few MediaPortalDirs.xml entries from programdata to the working directory in order to get it working.

Ah, good point. Most likely majority of us have MP also installed (or left overs from it like I do have on my dev PC) and that's why those language files are available.

Should we try to fix that issue somehow? Provide a different MediaPortalDirs.xml file for debug builds? Or would that cause more issues as no one knows that the few folders are used from different place?

Or should we export the data files from debug build process to the correct location?

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Ah, good point. Most likely majority of us have MP also installed (or left overs from it like I do have on my dev PC) and that's why those language files are available.

Actually i do have 1.0.2 installed, but it just has an empty language folder.

Should we try to fix that issue somehow? Provide a different MediaPortalDirs.xml file for debug builds? Or would that cause more issues as no one knows that the few folders are used from different place?

I think it should be fixed, preferably a debug version and an installed version should be independent. I suppose having a separate mediaportal.xml file for compiled but non-installed versions would be okay. It does mean that path issues can only be checked for certain in an installed version though.

Or should we export the data files from debug build process to the correct location?

That would potentially mess up an installed version. We could however place the program data in a subfolder of programdata that changes when its debug/release (ie just use \TeamMediaportal\Mediaportal_DEBUG / Mediaportal_RELEASE). I am not sure if there are any benefits in that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom