Completed Complete showcase of MediaPortal (1 Viewer)

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Most of the threads here show-off magnificent HTPC builds. I can't contribute to the already high-quality hardware posts here, however I have made a video which shys away from the hardware side of things and instead focuses on showcasing the software. On this front, I reckon the vid can contribute to the forum.

Video (YouTube)
    Playlist (YouTube)

Even though the skin has since changed, (I've got high res fan-art for music, and plenty of other changes) it's still a worthwhile showcase to anyone considering MediaPortal as a HTPC solution.

Thanks for letting me shamelessly plug my YouTube vid :cool:

ozwombat

Portal Member
    February 19, 2008
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    u095538

Are you able to give a few more specs of server and client. and What is the skin you were using

SiLenTYL

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    quick question...

what kind of HDD's do u use to timeshift /record to?

i see the raid card but not sure about the HDDs

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    u095538

Are you able to give a few more specs of server and client. and What is the skin you were using

Sure, I'm out of town atm so I'll do it when I get home.

quick question...

The HDD's are a mix between Seagate 1TB (the cheapest ones I could get) and WD 1TBs, if building a RAID array avoid the WD "green" HDDs as I've heard they have problems :)

u095538

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 18, 2008
    Newcastle
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    u095538

I actually forget the name of the skin I was using sorry, but it's an extremely popular one so you should be able to find it very easily on the forums here. The skin I'm using now is StreamedMP.

The specs of the fileserver can be found on the first second of this video: YouTube - 20TB Fileserver - Norco RPC-4220
    The specs of the HTPC are:

Remote Control Logitech Harmony 520 Remote Control
    Cable Laser HDMI Cable, v1.3 - 3m
    Case Antec Fusion Black Media PC Case
    Mobo ASUS M3N78-VM Motherboard, AM2+, GeForce 8200
    Remote Control Logitech Harmony 520 Remote Control
    Optical ASUS DRW-2014S1T DVD Burner - SATA
    RAM Corsair 4096MB (2 x 2048MB) PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 RAM - CL5 - Value Select
    CPU AMD Phenom II X4 945
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 250GB ST3250318AS

That's just a straight copy/paste from a spreadsheet when it was built ..it may be a bit different but I think that's pretty accurate.

quick question...

The HDDs are just your normal, cheapest, non-greeg [edit: non-green] Seagate and WD 1TBs.

What os are you running on your file server?

It's 'Windows Home Server', which is actually a slightly edited Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1. It's not great at all and I would swap it in a heartbeat for FreeNAS, were it not for Media Portal's TV Server. I've looked into Myth and apparently MythBackend (the server part, of a multi-seat Myth setup) doesn't run well on FreeBSD, which is the Linux OS used by FreeNAS. I might switch over one day, I'd like to see what Myth has to offer, but for the moment, everything is working so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom