[TV] Compress TV recordings and keep in database (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I would like to see a feature where TV Recordings can be selected and compressed to AVI/MP4, whilst keeping them in the Recordings database and preserving the programme info contained in the .xml.

I can live with having to skip adverts during the programme, but would want to trim the start and end of the recordings before compressing them, so a simple Start/End point setter would be an important part of this feature. Being able to Queue several recordings for compression later would be important as well.

At the moment what I tend to do is have MCEbuddy monitor a separate folder and move any TV recordings that I want to compress for archiving into that, but obviously that requires dropping out of MP into Windows Explorer and more importantly, means that they are no longer listed under TV Recordings and the programme info is lost.

TiboTv

Portal Pro
June 22, 2009
Home Country
Belgium Belgium
I completely support your request!

On older (perhaps also on last) releases of MP, there was an "Video Editor" but I've never succeed to use it and I think we wasn't able to compress video.

miroslav22

Development Group Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 4, 2009
    Warwick
    Home Country
    Sounds like a nice idea, but is re-compression really needed now that hard drives are dirt-cheap? I mean you can buy a 2TB drive for £60 nowadays and this could easily store 800-1000 hours of SD TV recordings.

Certainly reading and managing 'archive' folders and being able to trim the start and ends would be nice within MP.

doveman

Portal Pro
    February 12, 2008
    Home Country
    Sounds like a nice idea, but is re-compression really needed now that hard drives are dirt-cheap? I mean you can buy a 2TB drive for £60 nowadays and this could easily store 800-1000 hours of SD TV recordings.

Certainly reading and managing 'archive' folders and being able to trim the start and ends would be nice within MP.

It's true that storage is cheap enough these days, but it's nice to have recordings compressed to XVID/MP4 as it makes it easier to stick a few on a USB stick or burn to DVD to share with others, or indeed to archive for myself to DVD as burning DVDs takes a while, so the fewer I need to burn the better :)

I think the myvideoredo plugin can do the trim and cut'n'save bit for both mpeg and h.264.

If I want to save films\tvseries I do use videoredo to cut out adverts, usually gets rid of a third of file size.

I did used to use VideoReDo to cut out adverts, and still do for some programmes, but it was just taking too long and I can easily skip over the ads during playback, so I've chosen to put up with having to do this and larger files in order to avoid wasting my life editing out the ads ;)

I don't think the myvideoredo plugin is maintained or compatible with 1.2RC or I'd give it a look, and it does require VideoReDo and I guess doesn't integrate into the TV Recordings database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom