Compro S900 DVB-S/S2 USB? (1 Viewer)

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Has anyone used a Compro S900 DVB-S/S2 USB tuner? I'm putting a graphics card in my one PCI slot, so I can't use my PCI tuner (Compro VideoMate S300) any more, I have to go USB. The Compro PCI card has server me quite well, but the Compro drivers have been a bit flaky at times, and there don't seem to be many reviews of the S900. I'd appreciate any opinions on this tuner, or suggestions for a similarly priced alternative.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi tony72

I don't have any personal experience with Compro tuners but I thought I'd chime in since nobody else has offered any advice. Firstly, Compro tuners are not directly supported. From a satellite tuner perspective that means that advanced features such as DiSEqC may not work. That *may* include DVB-S2. Just the other day I was helping someone with a Compro S500 (thread here). We haven't yet managed to get it working although I'm still working with the the person privately. So my opinion of Compro tuners comes from that perspective - not entirely positive, not the worst I've encountered...

As far as alternatives go, there are a few that I think you should be aware of.

Firstly, the QBOX series of tuners from TBS (spec, buy direct from TBS). Good support... DiSEqC and DVB-S2 should work in MP... 5980 CI support being worked on... even Linux support I think.

Then there is the Tevii S660 - solid product from everything I've heard. DiSEqC and DVB-S2 supported.

Another option would be Technotrend: 3600, 3650. Some people have mentioned a few issues with the 3650, but it seems that it works fine if you get the right driver. Again, DiSEqC and DVB-S2 supported. We also support the CI interface with multidecrypt.

Finally Terratec offer the S7 and Cinergy S2 USB HD. Terratec's support can be a bit hit and miss, however I don't think there is too much wrong with their products.

So there are a few options. I'm sure price and availability will vary but hopefully there is something that suits your needs. Of course I'm not claiming my list is complete - there are sure to be other good options out there.

Hope that helps...
    mm
    :)

tony72

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 15, 2009
    Home Country
    England England
    Thanks for that mm, definitely looks like there are some better options than what I was looking at. I was looking at the Compro S500 as well (saw it going cheap), so I'm glad you mentioned the issues with that. I have a non-motorized dish and single LNB at the moment, and only watch the free-to-air channels, so something like the Terratec Cinergy S2 is looking about right for my needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom