Computer Freezes When playing films (1 Viewer)

Adam West

Portal Member
August 14, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
MediaPortal Version: 1.0 RC4
MediaPortal Skin: Blue 3 wide
Windows Version: Xp pro sp3 fully updated
CPU Type: intel pentium E2180
HDD: Samsung 250 Gb
Memory: 1.24 Mb PC2-6400 Corsair
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-73PVM-S2H
Video Card: Onboard NVIDIA GeForce 7100/nForce 630i
Video Card Driver: 6.14.11.7813
Sound Card: Onboard Realtek HD
Sound Card AC3: Optical out
Sound Card Driver: 5.10.0.5485
MPEG2 Video Codec: MPV decoder
MPEG2 Audio Codec: MPA decoder
h.264 Video Codec: CoreAVC 1.8.5
Cooling: OEM
Remote: Windows remote
TV: LG 37lc55
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

Hello, I have a problem that when I am playing video's the whole computer will lock up and crash, the picture will freeze and the sound will stutter.
The only way out of it is to manually hold the power button until it switches off.
There is no specific time scale for this but it usually happens within 1 hours.
I am using the latest drivers that I can find for everything and the latest software (updated windows sp3) MP 1.0 RC4 and I have recently done a fresh install although it has happened in every other version of Xp or MP I have used.
I am streaming content from my main pc via my home network which is via my router, It has happened with 2 different routers I have used.
I normally watch avi's and mkv video's, it seems to happen whatever video file I am playing.
I am using FFD show tryouts (latest available version) and CoreAVC 1.8.5 although again it has happened with previous versions that I have used.
The sound comes out via optical to my AV amp
I have tried lots of different things to try and solve this issue but none have worked so far, I don't have a clue what is causing it.
I have run speedfan and the whole machine seems to run nice and cool, I have also run memtest86+ and there is no problem with the memory.
I have attatched a log file, I ran the debug, opened MP, run the last video that crashed for a short while and then closed MP. I'm not sure if I can get it to generate a log for after when it crashes becasue I have to shut down the computer. I hope I have done everything correctly here?

Can anyone please help me to fix this very annoying problem, I am banging my head against the wall

:D in advance

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    The Jungle Book, you big kid :)

There is nothing showing in logs, a couple of things to try, check the video memory in the bios settings, make sure it is set to a value not auto, ie 128 or 256.

Second, uninstall ffdshow, it is being used for you playback, Download\install the Vista codec pack (ignore word Vista), this should now allow you to use the xvid codec for playback (done automatically), see if that makes any difference.

This also uninstalls cleanly, leaving no traces if you so wish, shark007 has done a really nice job on this, so any thanks go to him.

Adam West

Portal Member
    August 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply, I had adjusted the video memory to 256 this morning and it has had no effect.
    It has just crashed again and here is the updated log after restarting the computer, hopefully this should show something.
    I really hope its not related to ffdshow.
    Have you got a link to that vista codec pack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom