ComSkip USA setup help needed (1 Viewer)

stevewabc

Portal Member
November 21, 2010
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
MediaPortal 1.2
Setup
HTPC HDMI 7.1
Denon AVR-888
60" Sony
OTA Antenna
HDHomerun
Hauppauge 1250
Single Seat
RAID 24TB Movies
3TB Music/Pictures
3TB TV Recordings
TV
Moving Pictures
TV Series

Maybe my expectations are out of line here.

First off I would think if one is watch a TV Show and you pause it and come back to it when it hits the commercial it should just auto skip it. :)
2. When I'm watching a recorded show I see its not see or skipping the commercials at all.
What I have done up to this point = MediaPortal Setup Guide

as I keep searching im finding that people are saying one needs the recorded shows placed in video's witch to me is a pain in the xxx I have a separate Drive for TV Recordings, and don't want them part of my Videos.

Its looking like to me that I need to make changes to comskip settings as well as comskip.ini other then that it should be installed correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

:D
Steve

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi Stevewabc

I use mine single seat, but to get the comskip file read from the recorded screen , I need to press the forward skip on my mce remote, once done it should then skip all commercial in\outs read by comskip on its own, just the skip forward triggers this.

Now I know that rtsp can be the problem with comskip (effectively giving the same problem as multiseat), so just to be clear, I use the ForTheRecord Argus tvserver with UNC shares in the FTR management console for the recording\timeshift folders, so no rtsp is done, you should also be able to do this with MPTVServer, but I have not tried for 9 months.

Hope the first bit of this post solves your issue.

stevewabc

Portal Member
    November 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Hi Stevewabc

I use mine single seat, but to get the comskip file read from the recorded screen , I need to press the forward skip on my mce remote, once done it should then skip all commercial in\outs read by comskip on its own, just the skip forward triggers this.

Now I know that rtsp can be the problem with comskip (effectively giving the same problem as multiseat), so just to be clear, I use the ForTheRecord Argus tvserver with UNC shares in the FTR management console for the recording\timeshift folders, so no rtsp is done, you should also be able to do this with MPTVServer, but I have not tried for 9 months.

Hope the first bit of this post solves your issue.

Thank You

Due to the rtsp problem I agree I want away from that.
    Any good pointers on getting FTR installed and working correctly?

I'm trying to find current documentation for FTR and MediaPortal... :(

stevewabc

Portal Member
    November 21, 2010
    Home Country
    Ok I cant even get through the basic install here, and from what I'm goggling only idiots get this that fup the system. LOL well thats not the case here..
    Im running Windows 7Pro
    Im running a Exchange w/Domain server (needed to be on that network)so this could be part of the problem, but some how I should be able to tell it the true location. in place of localhost, I should be able to use the Static IP of that box or hell even the Computer name should work... But NOT!

net.tcp://localhost:49942/ForTheRecord/' not found

No firewalls Disabled
    Anti-Virus Disabled

Wipe PC start fresh coming shortly I'm getting my xxx kick here

You can also find me on the IRC...(homefront) to just please some one... This is nuts I cant be that damn dumb ... but then again LOL

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi stevewabc

Probably best to post FTR questions on the FTR forum. Having said that, where are you trying to enter that "net.tcp..." thing?

mm

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    MediaPortal 1.2
    Setup
    HTPC HDMI 7.1
    Denon AVR-888
    60" Sony
    OTA Antenna
    HDHomerun
    Hauppauge 1250
    Single Seat
    RAID 24TB Movies
    3TB Music/Pictures
    3TB TV Recordings
    TV
    Moving Pictures
    TV Series

Maybe my expectations are out of line here.

First off I would think if one is watch a TV Show and you pause it and come back to it when it hits the commercial it should just auto skip it. :)
    2. When I'm watching a recorded show I see its not see or skipping the commercials at all.
    What I have done up to this point = MediaPortal Setup Guide

as I keep searching im finding that people are saying one needs the recorded shows placed in video's witch to me is a pain in the xxx I have a separate Drive for TV Recordings, and don't want them part of my Videos.

Its looking like to me that I need to make changes to comskip settings as well as comskip.ini other then that it should be installed correctly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Steve

I have comskip working on a multi-seat setup using TV server (not 4TR) in MP 1.2 beta.

It doesn't work on live TV only recorded TV or videos. To work on live TV the comskip .txt file would have to be read as it is being written and i don't think thats possible.

Make sure you tick the Skip commercials tick box under video in MP configuration on all computers, recorded TV is treated as a video in MP but you don't have to set your recorded TV folder as a video share.

I set comskip to run after the recording is finished in TV server configuration, i have found this works better.

This setup works on most commercials but not all on my TV server and client machines, if a commercial isn't being skipped you can hit next chapter and it will skip the commercial. I need to tune the comskip settings, which i haven't done yet, the comskip settings are still the defaults. but it works most of the time so i haven't spent the time to tune it yet.

I hope this is some help.

stevewabc

Portal Member
    November 21, 2010
    Home Country
    TLD

Thanks at this point I just want to get comskip working... Question would you care to share your comskip.txt and comskip.ini being you to are in the US? I no everything else is and was installed correctly but the problem is with in them 2....

As I read up on 4TR it has alot of nice things to offer over MP TV but tell I get figured out Y I can not get it installed.. I will have to deal with MP. ....

Thanks for your reply again...

Stevewabc (homefront)
    MPLS, MN

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    TLD

Thanks at this point I just want to get comskip working... Question would you care to share your comskip.txt and comskip.ini being you to are in the US? I no everything else is and was installed correctly but the problem is with in them 2....

As I read up on 4TR it has alot of nice things to offer over MP TV but tell I get figured out Y I can not get it installed.. I will have to deal with MP. ....

Thanks for your reply again...

Stevewabc (homefront)
    MPLS, MN

Sure I'm using comskip80_042

TLD

Portal Pro
    October 26, 2007
    Rainy Washington
    Home Country
    I usually watch from the beginning of the recording i find if i skip ahead to soon the first commercial wont get skipped. Remember that MP uses the .txt file that comskip creates so if you modify the .ini file make sure you don't disable creating the .txt file. I have disabled the .edo file as it isn't needed by MP.

Good luck and please let me know how it works for you.

Edit; Give comskip a few minutes after the recording is finished the write the files it takes around 10 minutes on my machine you can tell it's done when the .txt file is finished about 1 or 2 kb.

stevewabc

Portal Member
    November 21, 2010
    Home Country
    I usually watch from the beginning of the recording i find if i skip ahead to soon the first commercial wont get skipped. Remember that MP uses the .txt file that comskip creates so if you modify the .ini file make sure you don't disable creating the .txt file. I have disabled the .edo file as it isn't needed by MP.

Good luck and please let me know how it works for you.

Edit; Give comskip a few minutes after the recording is finished the write the files it takes around 10 minutes on my machine you can tell it's done when the .txt file is finished about 1 or 2 kb.

Thanks Man It Works, I just had to replace the comskip doc's and the ran the test on to recorded movies and Bingo it was working! I have just finished recording a show from each of my channels and I'm all good! (OTA) Works well...

Thank You again...
    If your ok with it I will be adding it to my doc's for other USA users....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom