Configuration issues (1 Viewer)

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have three issues needing expert advice

Firstly, the World Weather add-on / plug-in appears borked. Whilst I've added it as an active add-on / plug-in, I cannot see any sign of 'World Weather' in any menu, consequently there is no obvious way to configure anything. Documentation merely assumes it works and doesn't even hint at any troubleshooting measures. I did see a mention of some service provider going belly-up but without any explanation regarding the significance or otherwise.

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Secondly, the issue of Netflix, YouTube and IPTV add-ons / plug-ins is even more vague. There are various suggestions that getting these working is merely a matter of installing some unspecified add-on / plug-in, but nobody ever thought of providing meaningful information.

praxidice

Portal Member
March 12, 2017
Home Country
Australia Australia
Seems I need to post a fourth question before anyone complains that I should have posted all three previous issues together. When I attempted to do so, I got an error message bitching about spam. The only way I could workaround this was to separate my questions into separate posts. If that isn't the accepted method, it would be nice if information regarding how one is meant to post multiple questions at the same time was readily available.

HTPCSourcer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 16, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hello,
    I cannot see any sign of 'World Weather' in any menu, consequently there is no obvious way to configure anything.
    The author provides a full-blown pdf file with detailed information. Check out the attachments in this posting.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hello,

The author provides a full-blown pdf file with detailed information. Check out the attachments in this posting.

Thanks

I can't see any pdf but maybe its included in the download. I understood (apparently incorrectly) that addons / plugins must be installed from the actual MP application but seems that is not the case.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Ahhh, just found the pdf where I wasn't expecting it. Seems to be fairly comprehensive which is a pleasant surprise given the crap documentation I've been trying to make sense of with a few linux applications.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Secondly, the issue of Netflix, YouTube and IPTV add-ons / plug-ins is even more vague. There are various suggestions that getting these working is merely a matter of installing some unspecified add-on / plug-in, but nobody ever thought of providing meaningful information.
    Is there a question here? :)
    Earlier I suggested to try the OnlineVideos plugin. Can't get more specific than that unless you have tried it and have problems (in which case, please could you specify the problems you ran into).

With regard to IPTV...
    "IPTV" is far too vague for anybody to give a meaningful reply.
    Please at least give examples of the IPTV services you're wanting to receive.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I've been away from home for a while and haven't been in a position to keep up to date with advice provided here or to try implementing suggestions. If perchance the Online Videos plugin will resolve YouTube, Netflix etc issues then thats OK as far as it goes. In my opinion, something more universal than simple YouTube and Netflix addons / plugins is needed in order that one doesn't need to keep installing more addons / plugins whenever a different source is wanted. I'll have a look at the Online Videos plugin when I get a minute and see if it suits my purpose. For what its worth, there is already an Online Videos menu item in MP that is apparently there in the default installation of 1.15 but it is dead / doesn't do anything. Is it merely a placeholder for the addon / plugin, or is there something more that has to be done (other than installing the addon / plugin ?)

By 'IPTV'. I don't mean the glorified pay tv con perpetuated by internet service providers but rather the streaming services offered by the likes of MyEasyTV.com. Personally I can't understand why anyone subscribes to any pay tv (other than the likes of Netflix et al) as almost all content is available for free someplace, and all Australian pay tv seems to get infected with moronic ads.

It may be that the best solution is to back out of MP and use a common or garden variety browser. This is always possible with MP but not with Kodi and the like due to the unavailability of a browser. This doesn't provide for replay or recording but it doesn't rely on additional software.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If perchance the Online Videos plugin will resolve YouTube, Netflix etc issues...
    Well, it depends what the issues are.
    I think probably best you wait until you get home and try it for yourself.

In my opinion, something more universal than simple YouTube and Netflix addons / plugins is needed in order that one doesn't need to keep installing more addons / plugins whenever a different source is wanted.
    OnlineVideos is meant to be "universal" in that sense. ;)

Is it merely a placeholder for the addon / plugin...?
    Yes.
    Provided because the plugin is extremely popular.

By 'IPTV'. I don't mean the glorified pay tv con perpetuated by internet service providers but rather the streaming services offered by the likes of MyEasyTV.com.
    Okay then OnlineVideos is definitely the "place" to start. If the particular sites ("site" is the terminology used to describe a source like MyEasyTV) you use aren't supported, ask and you may receive.

praxidice

Portal Member
    March 12, 2017
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks to all for the input which hopefully ticks all the present boxes. I expect to be in a position to follow all the suggestions later today AEST (say about 8 hours down the track)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom