[Pending] Configure broadcast address for WOL (1 Viewer)

TheNoctambulist

Portal Member
January 27, 2013
Home Country
Australia Australia
This patch allows the user to configure the broadcast address used for WOL of the TV server to something other than the global 255.255.255.255, e.g. 192.168.5.255.

This is needed because of the Win 7 behavior of only sending global broadcasts on one interface. If you have multiple network interfaces (this happened to me after I installed Virtual Box) then the WOL broadcast may not be sent out on the interface that connects to the server. Refer to this discussion on ServerFault for a more detailed explanation of the difference between Win XP and Win 7 behavior with global broadcast.

There are two components to the patch
  1. WolBroadcastAddress.patch updates the TV plugin to use the configured broadcast address.
  2. WolBroadcastAddress_SettingsUI.patch adds the broadcast address to the Wake-On-Lan configuration section.

Attachments

• WolBroadcastAddress.patch
    6.3 KB
  • WolBroadcastAddress_SettingsUI.patch
    8.2 KB

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks for the patch (y)
    These days we really like to avoid adding additional settings unless it is really necessary. Just wondering whether it would be possible to get the same functionality without adding a setting by putting the call in a loop like this:
    Code:
    		IPHostEntry local = Dns.GetHostEntry(Dns.GetHostName());
    		foreach (IPAddress ipaddress in local.AddressList)
    		{
    		  // send broadcast packet on interface
    		}

Could you confirm?

TheNoctambulist

Portal Member
    January 27, 2013
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Good idea.

I had a look, and it is possible to determine the broadcast address for all interfaces using functionality in the System.Net.NetworkInformation namespace. I have attached an alternative patch that uses this approach.

Attachments

• WolBroadcastAllInterfaces.patch
      5.5 KB

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom