Configuring HDHomeRun Prime (1 Viewer)

willj02

April 8, 2011
MediaPortal Version: 1.2.0 RC
MediaPortal Skin: Backdrop
Windows Version: Windows 7 x64 sp1
CPU Type: Intel i3 3.2GHz
HDD: Intel 60GB and Seagate 1TB
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Motherboard: ASRock H55M/USB3
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GT 430
Video Card Driver: 280.26
Sound Card: ASUS GeForce GT 430
Sound Card AC3: HDMI out
Sound Card Driver: 280.26
1. TV Card: HD Homerun Prime
1. TV Card Type:
1. TV Card Driver: 20110902beta1
2. TV Card: Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250
2. TV Card Type:
2. TV Card Driver: 22xx_7.9.1.28162
3. TV Card:
3. TV Card Type:
3. TV Card Driver:
4. TV Card:
4. TV Card Type:
4. TV Card Driver:
MPEG2 Video Codec:
MPEG2 Audio Codec:
h.264 Video Codec:
Satelite/CableTV Provider: WOW
HTPC Case: SilverStone M03
Cooling: Scythe SCSK-1100 100mm Shuriken Rev. B 3
Power Supply: APEX AL-D500EXP 500W
Remote: Streamzap
TV: Sharp LED
TV - HTPC Connection: HDMI

I have just set up a HDHomeRun Prime on my network and am having issues getting MediaPortal to recognize it. If I look at the network devices detected by the PC, the HDHomeRun is listed there. I am also able to play channels using the HDHomeRun config tool. MediaPortal does not seem to recognize it properly though. In the TVServer config with the TV Server tree expanded, the HDHomeRun is not listed on the left panel. It is listed on the right panel though along with the tuners associated with my Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250. Under tuner type it says 'Unknown' and under Init it says 'No'. The Edit button is disabled when these tusers are selected. Also, in the tv logs, it says 'Controller: card not found :confused:ilicondust HDHomeRun Tuner' when the TV service starts. Has anyone had any experience with this that can point me in the right direction to get this going?

2BitSculptor

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 23, 2008
    South Central Wisconsin
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    I can't help directly, I have 2 "original" HDHomeruns (without cablecard). I can only suggest checking the SiliconDust forums and inquiring tech help there.

Chuck

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi willj02

So far as I'm aware the Prime is not supported right now. Specific code had to be added to enable support for the original HDHomeRun, and the same would likely apply to the Prime. Could you please post logs using the watchdog (use option 3) - it could be an easy fix, but I'd need to see the logs.

mm

willj02

April 8, 2011
    I have also submitted a ticket with Silicondust. They have also said that Mediaportal does not support the Prime. Hopefully it will be supported soon, I am anxious to start using this.

I am attaching my logs.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi willj02

There's nothing Silicondust can do directly unless they fix our code for us - really a job for us. I've had contact with them in the past and they're really helpful so I'm hopeful that we can collaborate again and get the Prime supported. :)

mm

ssrjazz

Portal Member
    May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    I've got a similar setup with similar issues. I don't have a CableCard just yet, but there are plenty of clear QAM channels the tuner can see. Their QuickTV software works fine. I can get audio/video. Even locals in HD!

If you set the Main Application in HDHR's setup software to MediaPortal - the Prime doesn't get detected at all. If you set the Main Application setting to "Other: Registry" TV server will see them, but thinks they are ATSC type tuners. Btw, it's the ONLY way I've gotten Mediaportal to see them at all...they simply aren't detected in the logs with any other setting on the HDHR setup side.

If you then select one of the tuners in TV server setup, you can click the box to tell it to tune as QAM instead of ATSC. I use QAM standard and can tell it to scan. It will find channels, but I'll be damned if I can get Mediaportal to find audio or video on any of them...but they are there...I know they work. QuickTV sees 'em!

Anything I can do to help, just let me know!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi ssrjazz

willj02 has very generously allowed me to RDP into his TV Server a couple of times now so I've seen the issues first hand. After also speaking to Silicondust several times (and Ceton via email, because we face the same challenges supporting the Ceton InfiniTV) I can tell you that adding support for the Prime seems like it will be a 6 month job rather than a quick modification that can be made in a week - significant work will be required. Even for getting clear QAM channels. The impression that TV Server is already recognising the tuners under some conditions is also misleading. Without getting too technical, Silicondust and Ceton have both confirmed that those are Microsoft components for interfacing with the tuners. They don't seem to work for us.

mm

ssrjazz

Portal Member
    May 9, 2008
    Home Country
    That's both encouraging and disappointing to hear all at the same time. Might want to talk to some of the MythTV devs. Played around with getting that running today. With v0.24.1 I was able to get audio and video out of the digital clear QAM channels. Not only that, mythbackend SAW the tuner on the network and knew mostly what to do with it. So far MythTV is the ONLY media center software I've manage to get it working with. WMC wouldn't even work right with this thing.

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Well WMC *should* work - if you're having problems with WMC then talk to SD.

The Linux environment is very different to Windows. Usually we support tuners using BDA interfaces (specified by Microsoft) - these are completely different to the v4l-dvb interfaces used in Linux. Right now SD haven't finished the BDA driver/wrapper for the Prime, and it doesn't look like Ceton will implement one. My impression after talking to them both is that we can support both tuners if we add support for an interface that they implement called the DRI (a specification from CableLabs). I haven't finished reading the DRI specification yet but it seems quite reasonable. The tricky part seems to be actually communicating with the tuners as that may require UPnP...

mm

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Any update to the status?

I had thought to migrate away from DirecTV now that the Prime is on the market but after reading this thread it doesn't seem our MediaPortal application is ready...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom