Confused about TV resolution (1 Viewer)

Jeep725

Portal Member
September 28, 2012
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have an Insignia 42" 720p Plasma TV, model NS-42P650A11. My user guide, and the device manager on the computer, recommends the setting 1024X768. The desktop look best at this setting, and text when I'm browsing, is clearer to read. However, when I watch streaming TV shows through my browser, I find the best setting is 1280x720 for the pic to fill the screen. I'm not really sure if I notice a difference in picture quality watching movies/tv through MP. But I do note that my XBOX spits out 1280x720.

Another issue is the on-screen menus of my Onkyo receiver won't show up in 1024x768 whereas it does for the 1280x720.

I guess I'm not sure what my question is here...does anyone else have some resolution confusion? What setting do you use? It's only minor inconvenient to change the ratio, depending on what I'm doing, so I'm wishing I could pick one and be done with it. I'm just not sure at which setting I'm getting the best picture quality. Or maybe this is just a crappy tv and I need to upgrade? (but alas, not really an option right now)

Cheers,
Cristina

x4mer

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • November 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    It's a widescreen TV, so you should be using a widescreen resolution to get full screen with proper aspect ratio. What port is the PC connected to on the back of the TV, VGA or HDMI?

Or is the PC connected to the receiver instead of the TV? If so, what port on the receiver?

Jeep725

Portal Member
    September 28, 2012
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    HTPC -->receiver --> TV via HDMI. Receiver (Onkyo TX-SR608) is set to put video "through" although there are different conversion settings in the receiver. I've played around with different settings on it and the tv and the onboard Intel graphics settings. I know it seems like such a minor thing, but I get so worked up about every little detail, that it bothered me I would set it to 1280x720 and my graphics card would keep popping up that that was not the "ideal" setting for my display. I have since turned off the pop-up notification, but it gnaws at me that it is not "ideal" LOL. (Yea, maybe a little crazy )

Cheers,
    Cristina

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom