Confused by scrobbling options (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    OK I am getting a bit confused as to the scrobbling in MP:confused:

I get the scobbling side in last.fm where whatever you play is sent to last.fm for them to do their number crunching and turn it into songs you might like. What I don't get is how this is setup in MP.

AIUI the audioscrobber plugin handles sending what you are playing back to last.fm. The last.fm plugin works as a replacement of the last.fm client and basically streams files from last.fm.

When I am playing music from my collection I am confused though.... I had assumed that the scrobble on /off option was to toggle sending data to last.fm but as far as I can tell this actually is adding tracks to the playlist? If this is the case are these tracks streamed from last.fm or are they local tracks??

Finally am I right to assume that MP will try and download artist pics from last.fm and will use these as the artist thumb over the generated album covers?

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Hi.
    Files "scrobbled" are local files, not streamed (so you can use it w/o last.fm paid subscription:)).

MP can download artist- and albumart via the audioscrobbler-plugin, (provided you have registered@lastFM ofc - free is fine). Not sure if this happens in "real time" (in usage), but I would think (hope) so ...

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Files "scrobbled" are local files, not streamed
    Scrobbling is sending data of what has been played to last.fm.

The scrobble option the current playlist is misleading then as you are not turning scrobbling on/off but choosing whether to dynamically add tracks to your playlist (based on what has been scrobbled)

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Well, what's dynamically added to the playlist (of local files) is a result of Last.fm handling ("scrobbling"), if i'm not mistaking, and not some random or built-in feature.

I see you have numerous questions/threads about Last.fm and/or audioscrobbler. I believe that rtv is the right one to ask about these plugins (feautres) - and Hwahrmann when it comes to music/audio in general.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Dynamic playlists were/are broken for "older" MP releases (old is just a matter of days here). Last.fm changed its servers API recently and is expecting different values from MP. rtv has already fixed this, but I don't think the fix is available in any public snaphot yet. So you have to either compile your own MP version from SVN trunk or wait for the next snapshot build.

Maschine

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom