confused on media portal version (1 Viewer)

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
May 10, 2015
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
So I installed Media portal 1 then realized that there is a Media Portal 2
So I un-installed 1 and installed 2. Then realized that MP 2 has no live TV. But might leverage MP 1 TV service.
So I re-installed 1. But to allow MP2 to use MP1 live TV service i need to install MPextended. which appears to be a 3rd party extension. So what happens if they stop updating it? Current version is 2013.

Is Media Portal 2 ready to use or should i have stuck to MP 1?

spachti

Portal Pro
July 27, 2005
Bible Belt
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
If you are new to MP, my tip would be to stick to MP 1 until you understand how that works. Then you can switch over or use both programs.
I would not start with MP 2. It's very hard to configure, for non IT people like me at least, LOL. Beside that it's still in Alpha, which means not completely polished.

It's better explained here:https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...ling-tv-services-for-mp2.130738/#post-1136300

Regarding MPExtended for MP2, this is the version you will need:
https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mpextended-0-6-beta-release.125677/

Correction, I confused the MP2 with the IOS project. So ver. 0.54 might as well work.

But don't expect too much help there, as you saw for yourself, there is almost no support for MPExt anymore. Questions will best be posted into the MP2 forum.

Edit:

Btw there is LiveTV for MP 2, it's the 3.5 TV engine. As far as I know there is a plugin for live TV in MP2.

Last edited:

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand

johanj

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 31, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    MPExt. can be used to connect MP1 TV-server to MP2.

MPExt. can not be used to browse MP2 media databases so you will not be able to use your iOS or Android device with MP2 using MPExt.

So if you want to browse and control media from your pad or phone your should stick to MP1.

osre

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 14, 2014
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You should have a look at the weekle builds of MP2.
    They come with a full installer and Live TV Support (without MP1 TV Service to be installed seperately).
    It's not the latest and greates and most untested code that goes to weekly. Actually it runs not to bad, and has much more Features then the anniversary Edition.
    You can find the latest weekely here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/mediaportal-2-weekly-snapshot-2015-04-03.130280/
    It also explains the 3 options you have for LiveTV. If you didn't work with MP1 before, I recommend the 1st option.
    This includes the same TV service as MP1 and SetupTV works exactly the same. So you can use any documentation for MP1 SetupTV.

ErickTreetops

Portal Member
    May 10, 2015
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I have spent the weekend installing MP1. And still haven't got the video and tv programs coming up with the fanart etc.
    i realized that MP2 wasn't ready too late. When i got to the part about can only watch some tv channels and NO TV recording yet. I uninstalled it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom