Ongoing Considering building an HTPC (1 Viewer)

jdgower

April 15, 2011
OK...very new to all of this, been researching it basically the past couple of days. I want to make a server for my main TV and then (maybe) make a client for our bedroom, but that would be in the future.

What I want:
Be able to have all my DVD sets / movies on a computer for easy access
Local Channels (in HD) and be able to record 2 streams at once.
Netflix streaming integrated
MLB.tv (any ideas on this? integrated into MP or not integrated?)
Rip/Play Blu-Ray dvd's

What I like:
Motherboard: Intel Socket 1156/Intel H55/DDR3/A&GbE/ATX
CPU: Intel Core i3 DUAL Core Socket LGA1156
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-430CX CX Series 430-watt Power Supply Compatible with Intel Core I7 and Core I5
TV Tuner: Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 White Box for System Builders Dual Hybrid PCI-E TV Tuner Board
HD: 2x Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Green SATA
Blu-Ray Player: Samsung Blu-Ray Internal SATA Drive with Lightscribe 12x BD-ROM
RAM: Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i5 Processors
Case: SilverStone LC13B-E Aluminum/Steel ATX Media Center/HTPC Case
Remote: Windows 7 Vista XP Media Center MCE PC Remote Control and Infrared Receiver

Basically I'm looking to see if this will do what I need it to do and see if I forgot anything...for instance, do I need a CPU cooler and if so, what would you recommend?

Anything I'm going overboard with? With this stuff I'm at $820 and I still have to buy an antenna. Told my wife I was doing this to save us money and it's getting quite expensive. However, I dont know if I'm able to stop...I dropped True Blood into the TV Series plugin and I'm not sure if I can go without have this awesome system on my TV.

By the way, I am doing this to save money (plus it's awesome!)...going to drop satellite if I can get this up and running.

Thanks so much for any help or feedback you can provide.
-Jeremy

WileECoyote

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 14, 2008
    Cary, NC
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Hey jdgower,
    It looks like it will be a pretty good system. It will sure be enough to run the My Netflix app. A few questions though...

1. Are you planning on using on-board video?
    2. I tried one of the remotes you picked, but it didnt play nice with MediaPortal at all. See if you can find a regular Microsoft remote (hard to find now.)
    3. Are you planning on bitstreaming audio? If so, you may want to look at an aftermarket video card (I run the ATI 5550 via HDMI and it works great.)
    4. How many DVD's / BluRays do you have/want to rip?

Good Luck!

Wile E.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom