Copying from iPod policy (1 Viewer)

marshall

Portal Pro
February 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
This stems from what is being worked on here: https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/showthread.php?t=10472

Do the devs on this project think from a legal standpoint that it would be wise to allow copying music off of an iPod onto the local machine?

I know there are plenty of other programs that will let you do it, I just don't know how people feel about sponsoring it (by "it" I mean "technology that could be used for perfectly legitimate applications, but might also be used by less moral individuals for acts related to the infringement upon the intellectual property of others") in this community. It might be a good idea to thresh that out before spending the time to add the functionality.

knutinh

Portal Pro
September 4, 2005
I think that allowing copying from ipod to PC is as morally right as allowing cd-ripping or xerox machines. It CAN be used for immoral purposes, but so can just about everything.

-k

mPod

Portal Pro
January 26, 2005
Berlin
Home Country
Germany Germany
Eh? What?

You know that you already have your music on your PC when you're using an iPod? Keyword: iTunes... Also you can even use Windows Explorer (or OSX Finder) to copy the stuff, if you'd really want. The conclusion of your above post would be better telling Microsoft to remove Explorer then...

No idea what you're talking about...?!

Also in the other thread you said that you didn't even use the plugin, how could you know what it does and what it doesn't?! Weird kind of pre-moral...

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    At least in most EU states it is legal as long as you do not attempt to break any copy protection..

leonbuckley

Portal Member
    December 4, 2005
    What happens when your Ipod dies and all your legally bought mp3's are stuck on it? I've heard countless stories of people losing all their tracks because of IPOD/ITUNES problems. Keep up the good work with this plugin! I personally wouldn't touch an Ipod with a ten foot bargepole Creative Zen Vision:M is much better and plays any video/Audio you drag over to it. No Itunes required

marshall

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    You know that you already have your music on your PC when you're using an iPod?

Yes, and I know that iTunes does not allow you to drag music from an iPod onto your computer to help prevent illegal file sharing but many other apps have been made to get around this so MP could really go either way.

The question is whether or not it would be good to allow what could be deemed a file-sharing plugin. If someone created a plugin to control their limewire or kazza dowloads/uploads from within MP, would that be smiled or frowned upon? I would consider this a similar question.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    You know that you can watch ripped DVDs with MP? Should we remove DVD support and the movie player? Should PowerDVD & WinDVD die? Do all hardware DVD players need to be thrown out of the window? This discussion is so senseless... Better don't waste your time with it. ;)

If your concern is that this project might be shut down because you "could" copy music from your iPod (which is not illegal at all!!!), don't worry, that won't happen.

marshall

Portal Pro
    February 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    Home Country
    Sorry for wasting everybodies time on the senseless.

There are just some people who get sensitive about intellectual property, and I would not want to waste my time, or have anyone else waste their time, coding a feature that would not be considered in the proper spirit of the project. Obviously people are okay with it though. Glad to get that knowledge out in the open.

mPod

Portal Pro
    January 26, 2005
    Berlin
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Well, I'm always happy when users care about copyright issues and the MP project. ;)

But what you brought up is not problematic for us. Sorry if my posts came across a bit harsh, it wasn't meant this way. ;)

Things that we won't have (because of copyright issues that could lead to closing down the project) will be: Ripping by cracking protection or make it possible to use TV emulators for smartcards. (Won't be discussed here on the forums, please.) Those things are valid objections. But not copying unprotected (or even protected) stuff from an MP3 player, especially because if those AAC files are protected, that protection is not removed by copying. You still need an iTunes validation for them to play. Downloaded MP3 stuff is something else, we cannot control such, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom