Core docs for new developers? (1 Viewer)

WorkInProgress

December 29, 2005
OZ/NL
Hello all, and let me congratulate the developers on what appears to be a very productive project to implement a system with an unusually large scope.

I set up an account once before and offered to assist in development matters in whatever capacity would be most useful. Unfortunately personal matters intervened, and I have not been able to back up my offer until now. However, since recently I find myself with a powerful HTPC and a MediaPortal system set up on it.

There are a number of features on this system that I thoroughly enjoy; I have been making use of it for music playback and AVI playback since I set it up with no major issues. In the areas of DVD playback and TV reception I still have issues that I am trying to sort out.

One thing that I have been trying to do is dig into the source to figure out how things are working and why they might not be working ideally for me. The most major reason I am using MediaPortal as opposed to Medio is the fact that I have the source and can do my own tinkering/fixing.

What has disappointed me a little bit though is the lack of explicit and/or intrinsic documentation. A quick search found a 'Docs' directory with an enticingly named file 'Architecture', but there does not appear to be a whole lot of detail in it.

Now; after this roundabout path, my actual question... are there any road-maps, documents, etc. that I have inadvertently overlooked, especially dealing with the workings of 'Core'. As I see it, once Core becomes clear to me, then everything else is just one extension on top of it at a time, and should not involve too much additional effort to get my head around.

Thanks, and regards for any following assistance to help me get productive in this project.

devo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 2, 2004
    Canada
    WorkInProgress said:
    Hello all, and let me congratulate the developers on what appears to be a very productive project to implement a system with an unusually large scope.

I set up an account once before and offered to assist in development matters in whatever capacity would be most useful. Unfortunately personal matters intervened, and I have not been able to back up my offer until now. However, since recently I find myself with a powerful HTPC and a MediaPortal system set up on it.

There are a number of features on this system that I thoroughly enjoy; I have been making use of it for music playback and AVI playback since I set it up with no major issues. In the areas of DVD playback and TV reception I still have issues that I am trying to sort out.

One thing that I have been trying to do is dig into the source to figure out how things are working and why they might not be working ideally for me. The most major reason I am using MediaPortal as opposed to Medio is the fact that I have the source and can do my own tinkering/fixing.

What has disappointed me a little bit though is the lack of explicit and/or intrinsic documentation. A quick search found a 'Docs' directory with an enticingly named file 'Architecture', but there does not appear to be a whole lot of detail in it.

Now; after this roundabout path, my actual question... are there any road-maps, documents, etc. that I have inadvertently overlooked, especially dealing with the workings of 'Core'. As I see it, once Core becomes clear to me, then everything else is just one extension on top of it at a time, and should not involve too much additional effort to get my head around.

Thanks, and regards for any following assistance to help me get productive in this project.

I can tell you documentation is a work in progress just like MediaPortal. My main focus lately has been eactly this type of documentation. If you have been watching the new site there is now a Contribute Section and links to some new content in the wiki, not all of it is there right now but things are rolling in this area to make it easier for everyone to help out on the project.

Please stayed tuned for more information and documentation that will be available.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom