Current Keys Dialogbox (1 Viewer)

emp3r0r

Portal Member
October 6, 2004
I've been following MP development for sometime now. Wow, you guys are doing an excellent job. Things are looking great.

The biggest issue I see is there is no way to know how to do things in MP without looking up keybindings. It would be nice to have a dialog box that you can show for each window that lists the global keybindings and window keybindings.

This information is available in the settings window so it shouldn't be too hard to create one dialogbox that you pass the window id to and it looks up all the keybindings and lists them in the dialogbox.

Usability would increase 10 fold IMO.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    I made this suggestion more than once.
    In the meantime I know a couple of keys by heart, but

it is helpful for functions not used so often
    helps newbies on the program a lot
    avoids hundreds of questions in this forum "how can I have TV fullscreen"

but there have been other splendid things added in the meantime, I must admit.

tomtom21000

emp3r0r

Portal Member
    October 6, 2004
    I've started adding this to mediaportal. Right now I'm just trying to get around the code. Most of my time has been spent formating code so it is readable. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've created a new dialog based on the select dialog. FIrst I'll try and just get it to list the all the current windows binded actions. I've successfully been able to pull the window actions for the current window out of the keymap file.

Now I just need to be able to call my dialog box from any window. I want to add like a keys button near the tv/shutdown/exit buttons that pops up the dialog.

Any tips on this? It looks like I can do it from MediaPortal.cs

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    great to hear!

#1: Maybe repost it in development sub-forum. not sure if the people with programming expirience with mp read it here.

#2: And probably best way. Come to irc chat at #mediaportal on efnet. This is the fastest way to get online support.

tomtom21000

emp3r0r

Portal Member
    October 6, 2004
    [quote="tomtom21000:]Your making progress?[/quote]

Hey, yes I am. Right now I'm at the point of deciding on how to display the keys in the dialog box.

On some screens there are many binded keys and if you combine those with global keys then it will be hard to fit all the key bindings on one dialog.

I was thinking of maybe some kind of scrolling or paging feature.

Also, when to display the globally binded keys? Every window or maybe just on the Home screen?

How should the dialog look?

S: changes aspect ratio
    X: action description
    Y: action description
    Z: action description

A simple list like this?

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    emp3r0r said:
    Hey, yes I am. Right now I'm at the point of deciding on how to display the keys in the dialog box.

Great to hear!

emp3r0r said:
    On some screens there are many binded keys and if you combine those with global keys then it will be hard to fit all the key bindings on one dialog.

I was thinking of maybe some kind of scrolling or paging feature.

Also, when to display the globally binded keys? Every window or maybe just on the Home screen?

I´d prefer paging. First page binded keys, 2nd page, if needed, general keys.
    Include the global keys if possible.

emp3r0r said:
    How should the dialog look?

S: changes aspect ratio
    X: action description
    Y: action description
    Z: action description

A simple list like this?

This would be a good start.
    Keep it simple
    You could use graphical letters for the keys, if you want to be more stylish. All the graphics are already in the skins from the virtual keyboard for movie/music search.
    and make the action description translatable. if you take those directly from the setup, this might need to be changed to translatable strings.

Hope to see your first beta soon ;)

tomtom21000

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom